Favourite Discworld characters?

Discussion in 'Terry Pratchett' started by Brian Turner, Mar 15, 2004.

Brian Turner

Brian Turner Brian G. Turner Staff Member

I'll have to add Death as a clear favourite - there's real character in that character, and Pratchett has developed him nicely over the sequence of books.

Any others, though?

Perhaps the most immediately memorable is the librarian at the Unseen University, who also happens to be an Orang Utan. There's something extremely memorable about that. :)

I *never* cared for Rincewind as a character - but maybe that's just me.
    dwndrgn

dwndrgn Fierce Vowelless One Staff Member

Goodness - I've got many favorites.

I love the librarian - he seems to have the most sense of all the faculty of the university. He can also convey a host of thoughts in one little 'Ook'.

Carrot - he's your typical, come from the back of beyond honest and true hero. He's so innocent it hurts.

Granny Weatherwax - a cantankerous old biddy who knows more than we've forgotten, and doesn't let us forget it.

Lord Vetinari - he's corrupt, cruel and selfish, but vulnerable at the same time. Makes you want to reform him.

Death of Rats - he gets no respect, is forced into all the pitiful chores Death himself can't do. He also communicates without words well.

The Luggage - I want it!

Oh, there's so many more but I'll keep it short and simple.
    Marianne

Marianne Nanny

and who doesn't love Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler? The best businessman I know...

Vimes is one of my favs...one cool customer.

The luggage and the librarian are the only reason I read the stories about the magicians.

I have to add Polly to my list of Pratchett heroes as well. The whole cast of Monstrous Regiment was a hoot.
    Myla Starchild

Myla Starchild Gal Pervert Extraordinare

Vimes, Sybil and Nobby are my faves...hilarious
    polymorphikos

polymorphikos Scrofulous Fig-Merchant

Everyone has clear favourites like Granny Weatherwax or the Librarian, but I always loved Gaspode the Wonder Dog, and especially Sarah and Rincewind. The last is probably an aquired taste, but the likeable loser is such a common character in humour that you've got to love him. Ponder Stibbons always stood out to me, too.
    Cordalas

Cordalas Night Elf Ranger

Death, Rincewind and The Band with Rocks in for me. Mainly because they are all very funny but I also have the first two Discworld games in which Rincewind and Death are main characters. Has anyone else played the games? It surprised me how much detail from the books they contain.
    Hypes

Hypes Emperor!

Vimes is my favourite by far, with Vetinari coming in at a second.

There's nothing more enjoyable than a book were these two interact. Truly marvellous characters, both of them.

Are you saying the Death of Rats is inferior? Equal rites!
    Yvienn

Yvienn New Member

I've once found a demo of one game. I think it was based on "Guards! Guards!", but I don't know actually. It started in the university and I was playing with Rincewind. It was very funny, even more than books, but I didn't manage to do much in that game.

My favourite character is Death. Others like Luggage or Ogg are fun too, but death is clearily the best.
    Crimson Ink

Crimson Ink New Member

Death is my fave character :cool: from Mort

He is so naive of Human feelings but he's funny as well. hehe
    The Master™

The Master™ Science fiction fantasy

It's strange, but I could have sworn I'd posted on this subject...

For me, my favourite characters include:
    Death - the dude rocks!!!
    Susan - Deaths Grandaughter!!! The way she deals with the monster-under-the-bed and the bogeyman (Big stick with a bit of blanket nailed to it)...
    Death of Rats (and that bloody crow - and his obsession with eyeballs)...
    Casanunder - The Dwarf Gigalow...
    Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg - Witches to respect!!!
    Sir Samuel Vimes - Love how he deals with assassins!!!
    The Watch - a fine body of men, women, trolls, gargoyles, dwarves and undead...
    And the ever appearing Dibbler - whether it be Cut-me-own-throat or any of the other versions!!!
    nemogbr

nemogbr Worlds Walker

Definitely the Luggage and second the part about wanting one of those. Even better than carrying a 120 ltr back pack...;)

Second place would be Death of course.
    Falagar

Falagar New Member

Death is my favorite, with Vimes and Granny filling in behind. Lu Tze's also somewhere back there.
    LadyFel

LadyFel New Member

Vimes and Vetinari share first place with me...especially when they're in direst contact...

I adore the way they deal with people...I wanna be Vetinari when I grow up...oh...wait...I'm grown up...

Although I must admit, the complete cast of Monstrous Regiment had me in stitches...
    sp4

sp4 New Member

Got to be Nanny Ogg and the the song aboot the Wizzads staff

lol:D
    Brian Turner

Brian Turner Brian G. Turner Staff Member

Hi sp4, and welcome from down Hull way. :)
    Princess Ivy

Princess Ivy Damsel in this dress

to difficult to choose,
    Carrot? to pedestrian. Grimes, to parochrial (and we all know that ain't spelled rite). Granny Weatherwax, to hommey. Vetinari - OK so he is well in contention, along with Nobby Nobs!
    Seth God Of Chaos

Seth God Of Chaos A God In My Own World

I think my favourites would have to be Vetinari -The Lord-,Leonard A Quirm -The genius-, Lu-tze -The rockin monk- Susan -Ultimate goth-.The Dean -hut hut-, Ridcully , Vimes , carrot , Gaspode -The Talking Dog-, Death-IS THIS RIGHT- and i know ill probably get criticism for this one but Wolf Von Uberwald ROCKED

Oh and rincewind's cool

Look i know this is a big list but hes my second favourite author

HAIL DAVID GEMMELL

PS the little things in - - are a collection of quotes and descriptions
    Leto

Leto Outside

Nobby, Colon, Vimes and Vetinari. They give a human and fun touch other books without them is missing.
    Spirit_Caller

Spirit_Caller User of Energy and Light

Death is soooo cool. I loved the way he tried to get drunk. :D I also like Luggage and see it as a rather cute andrex puppy with very sharp teeth and lots of attitude! ;)
    smeg

smeg New Member

HAIL DAVID GEMMELL

I second that:)

Vimes is my favourite without a doubt, though Cohen and DEATH follow closely.