Best B5 episode

Ah well.... is better than nothing :)

Sci-fi is the "home of babylon 5 in the UK" after all..

I'll be looking out for it, so I can watch the run properly, without having to try to stay awake til 2am, like I did for the C4 slot, often falling asleep before or during Crusade (tiredness not bordom, folks...honest :D)

Sleep

I understand that. Sci-Fi pretty good about the timing of things.

yeah, definitely :D
Funny thing is, I've been awake to like 2-3am most nights recently, since I got inmetered net access off peak, and i spend half the night surfing, mostly these forums :) so i'd be awake for that late Crusade if it was on now ;) :rolleyes:

Late hours

I understand. I'm usually up 'till 200 or 300 myself. right now it's 0715 or so and I still haven't made it to bed. Might as well stay up since I'm taping 'The Sentinel' at 0900. :}

yikes, I hadn't considered that time zone thingy, its quarter past 3 in the afternoon over here, so I'll be awake for a good 11-12 hours more today :D

The Sci-Fi Channel

I am currently so untrusting of the Sci-Fi channel. they just dropped 'The Sentinel' without any warning whatsoever. Last Friday, it was running through at least the end of March. Today, it doesn't exist on the programming grid.

Watch them very carefully... I fear for Crusades right now.

I am ticked...

Let's try something...

Rather than try to decide an all time 'best favorite' episode, let's try to pick one from each season. You 'can' include movies, if you get stuck, but please tell us why.

Go for it. :D

hi there rowan, i'll need to go and have a think about best episodes, there's so many to choose from, my problem is trying to remember the name of the episode,
i do like the ones with bester in them though...peachy

as long as marcus is in the ep., its a good one!!!...

and as far as the sci-fi channel.... well its been a long time since wonder woman was on the air!... cant say i like it more than the sentinel though...*laugh*

I watched "River of Souls" today on sci-fi, this film is better the 2nd or third time around...

It was the first film without many of the "old" cast, only Garibaldi and a little of the doctor, it was mainly Zack and Capt Lockley and Martin Sheen!

It is a quite good film, but i think i prefer "In the beginning" or "a call to arms", I prefer the action space battles etc, and Sheridans character is one of the most watchable...

Love a Call To Arms every time I see it Im on the edge of the seat bitin me nails. (sad i know, as if I didnt know what was goin to happen already, tut)

Episodes

I understand. The mark of a well writing story, no matter the medium it's presented in, is the way it can still grab you even though you know where it's going.

And within the episodes, so many scenes that clutch at your throat:

Londo standing at the view port watching the bombing of Narn.

Delenn on the bridge of the White Star telling the attaching Earth fleet that they should leave. Now.

Sheridan and Lorien when JOhn realizes that Lorien *is* the First One and the prive he'll have to pay for those he loves. "Is there anything worth living for?"

Ivanova in Med Lab with Franklin just after Marcus dies.

Bester talking to his lover in her stasis chamber in Med Lab.

Marcus and Dukat's duel with pikes.

The list goes on and on ...

All of those moments are what makes B5 great. I love the fact that you can watch the ones youve seen millions of times but they still bring the same emotions. That is definately the mark of a brilliant writer.

CYA

Moments ...

Like 'Reboo and Zooty' in "Day of the Dead'. Or the young Teep in 'The Corps Is Mother...". That was just on last night and always chills me with it's ending.

Faith Manages.

Favorite episode? That is a difficult one, it would be easier to pick the handful I didn't care for that to pick the one episode, or even one for each season I really liked.

Here goes, "Severed Dreams" would definetly have to be near the top. Loved the way Delenn came out in the nick of time and her response to the attackers. Then there is the episode where they free earth. Never forget the Agemmenon taking out that defense platform.

On the lighter side there was Bo and Mack. That was a great episode, a chance to see things on the station from a working class perspective.

As for movies, loved Call to Arms, and IN the Beginning. River of souls was okay but I wasn't a big fan of Thirdspace.

As to Crusade, I think the show had a lot of potential. For those who didn't care for it remember the episodes where shown out of order, TNT kept interfering with the way JMS wanted it and the first season of any show is one of the main one for the characters to be built. Rewatching the first B5 episodes then the last ones you can see the change in the developent in characters. A change which never had a chance to develop in Crusade. I think if JMS had been left alone to do it the way he wanted and Crusade had been given a chance it would have been right up there with B5.

Don't forget the reason why everyone started watching the first season, the quality of the effects, the first episodes made you stand up and take notice of them! The link between human and Minbari souls and history. How each episode linked to the next. The writers had a vision of the whole season, and every proceding season.

starling :cool:

That's right. It is that story line or arc which really made the series. B5 is one of the most consistent shows out there. So many others are riddled with inconsistencies, Star Trek for example.

Of course the special effects helped. I didn't start watching it until mid-way through the second season. At the time I was hooked on Star Trek and the local channels showed them opposite each other. I actually stumbled onto it on a Sunday afternoon when the channel showed an episode then for a change. It was the episode where the person from earth is asking all the ambassadors if they have ever seen this ship (the shadow ship) and I've been hooked ever since.

Watching the first season right now on Sci-fi, its amazing how the writers really knew how the story was going to play out.. there's so much now that was done to lead up to the final season and the wars...unlike any other tv series, the story arc to this show flowed so smoothly..

yeah I totally agree with you there Ponyperson... the strength of the story, and the skill of the arc are some of the best features of B5 :)

They definetly are and I have been enjoying rewatching the episodes for the umpteenth time (lost count quite a while ago).

It is a shame that more shows don't employ a type of story line or arc. Some have tried it but not with the success of B5.