For those who like Dean Koontz

I had no idea he had a new one out! I need to keep up with this stuff :rain:

Yeah it came out the day after Christmas. Didn't get it 'til like two weeks ago though. It was a fun read:rolly2:

I love the Chris Snow books as well (fear nothing and seize the night) Im desperatly waiting for news of the third (Dean, if your reading this........;) ) My other fave is watchers. The book was brilliant, the film...well, wasnt.

Originally posted by L. Arkwright
My other fave is watchers. The book was brilliant, the film...well, wasnt.

yeah:dead: the movie sucked--i would think a lot of that would have to do with the fact that it bore very little resemblance to even the basic plot of the book--and the dog was pretty much the only intact character, if i recall correctly--which i'm trying not to. recalling the movie, that is--loved the book.

does anbody ever read his little/long author's notes at the end of some of his paperbacks? they're hilarious--usually give a bit of insite, too.:rolly2:

Long time, no posts!

I love Dean Koontz, he is one of my favourite authors and I would place him alongside Stephen King, though they have very different styles.

I've read twenty-something of his books, and the ones I enjoyed the most are Twilight Eyes, Winter Moon and Sole Survivor.

One Door Away From Heaven and Demon Seed I'd put at the bottom of the pile, but that's comparing them to other DK books and they are solid stories in their own right.

Koontz seems to have difficulties finishing his trilogies, namely the Moonlight Bay and Frankenstein trilogies. Hopefully, he'll conclude both of these sometime in the future.

Last edited:
I haven't read much of Koontz, but I'll be sure to check him out. :)

What have you read so far, Brigitte?

And when you check out another book of his, do tell us what you make of it!:)

I used to have loads of Dk books-then gave em all away to charity.
I especially loved Lightning-I re-read that so many times!!
I recently read Odd Thomas-which was way different, but I enjoyed it.

I've enjoyed reading some of Koontz's novels though I find if I read a couple in a row they become a bit repetative. The over all plots aren't always the most involving but he seems to have a good way of writing characters, well there's something anyway that keeps me enjoying reading them :) The Odd Thomas series is a good case, I've read the first two and although I'm sceptical about how original some of the ideas are I still enjoyed reading them and will read the third sooner or later.

A few times now I've been in between books and struggled to find something new and so I've grabbed another Koontz story. They're fun and easy to read, I've posted before that (IMO) he's like King but a little more 'cartoony' but I dont mean that in a bad way.

Lightning was great and I really enjoyed Fear Nothing/ Seize the Night, I was wondering about it being referred to as a trilogy, Seize the Night definitely seems to be setting it up for another story then I read that the earlier novel Midnight was also based in Moonlight Cove, I couldn't remember there being any cross over but had been meaning to re-read Midnight, glad to hear there may be another Chis Snow story ahead :).

The only one I've read is The Taking, and I enjoyed it for the most part. I tried reading another one and after 350 pages with no discernable plot, I gave up.

I'm not sure about the UK release, but Dean Koontz's latest book, THE DARKEST EVENING OF THE YEAR, is going to be released tomorrow in the US.

Just letting anyone who might be interested or a fan of DK know, because I know I will be buying it and reading it imeediately tomorrow with the day off from work. If you are a dog lover especially, you might want to look into it.

I am somewhat selective now with Kootz. I find some of his books just brilliant and others I wonder why I bothered. He is a bit hit and miss. Lightning was great whilst The Bad Place was terrible. I have found to that he starts a book brilliantly but they have less than satisfactory endings. I used to read quite a bit of Kootz but have tapered off in recent years.

The only one I've read is The Taking, and I enjoyed it for the most part. I tried reading another one and after 350 pages with no discernable plot, I gave up.

I enjoyed the taking too :cool:. I am yet to read anything else by him. I think it is the only horror book I have read in recent years! Never really been a fan of the genre.

I really like his books because he seems to care about his characters and he makes us care about them, too. what i mean is that he won't kill somebody off for no good reason like some other authors do.

Technically, I wouldn't even describe him as a horror writer, and neither would he. He gets filed in the horror section at most bookstores and libraries, unfortunately, but his actual catalogue only includes a few straight horror novels. The ones I can think of include books like PHANTOMS, DARKFALL, and maybe MIDNIGHT, which is one of my personal favorites and the first one I read.

If you were to categorize Koontz, I would say the best term is "suspense writer," even though he does blend elements of other genres into his books.

Anyway, I just bought THE DARKEST EVENING OF THE YEAR and am 50 pages into it. It's very good so far.

read most Koontz books up to about 1998,then got into Fantasy big time!
i enjoyed every one of them but the one that stands out for me is 'Strangers'
with one of the best twist in the endings to a Dean Koontz novel there is!

Got and read the 4th Odd Thomas book.

Well, I was able to sit and read through the entire thing in about 3 hours, so I guess it held my attention. It didn't have the charm of the original, at least not entirely, although the dialog was particularly snappy this time around. I imagine Mr. Koontz thought himself quite witty when writing it, and probably spent a bit of time grinning over his own text.

It din't really mesh, though. I think it may be lots of small things that bug me about it when read altogether like I did last night. Spoiler follows:
It bothered me that Elvis had moved on only to be replaced by Frank Sinatra. Ok, the novels have never been particularly realistic, but even I have trouble trusting that of all the ghosties in the world that would attach themselves to a guy like Odd, that Old Blue Eyes would be the one to do it. I liked the permanant addition of Boo the dog, but I really did not enjoy the new human (or supposedly human)characters. They seemed flat and not really fleshed out like the folks in Pico Mundo. Also, I had trouble with thier believability. They were too grand. No one is this latest installment was just a nice, normal person. I think the world is populated with so few extraordinary personalities, it seems unlikely Odd would only ally himeself with those types.

Ok - I'm not giving up on the series yet. The first book was brilliant in its simplicity, and I have continually been a little let down since, but the glimpses of the old originality and charm are probably enough to keep me reading for awhile yet.

Speaking about Odd Thomas i read the first book a month ago and it was wonderful book.

Thrilling,nice humor,interesting characters. The twist at the end shocked me like few books has in recent years.

I will read more of the series and hope its as good as this one.

I liked the idea of a supernatural story in a very small,cosy town.

Back