Guy Gavriel Kay

I mentioned Stephen Lawhead because he has strong Celtic themes in his that I wonder if might appeal. I've only read one - Byzantium - which was a particularly brilliant historical fantasy - but he's made a good name for himself re-writing Arthurian legend. In case of interest to anyone. :)

I said:
I mentioned Stephen Lawhead because he has strong Celtic themes in his that I wonder if might appeal. I've only read one - Byzantium - which was a particularly brilliant historical fantasy - but he's made a good name for himself re-writing Arthurian legend. In case of interest to anyone. :)
Did he write the Paradise War & the Silver Hand?

I just read Kay's Tigrana, and enjoyed it thoroughly. Especially liked the theme, the importance of memories. And it gives it a certain style that all the names are/sound Italian and the general feel is very...mediterranean.

His writing is also very...lush (a word I think describes it neatly).

Thanks. :) Should probably have introduced myself in the introduction-part, but I decided to just post in a topic and see how it went.

His writing is also very...lush (a word I think describes it neatly).

That is a perfect word to describe his books.

I really enjoyed Tigana, it's very refreshing to have a complete saga in a single volume, no? His writing is wonderful and his characters are so well constructed. The ending as well is particularly good.

Now, I have looked at his other books but nothing shouts, "Buy me". I went as far as to read the character list of 'The Fionavar Tapestry' but it put me off.

How would you like the trilogy to Tigana or say another author? I fear it is just another quest...

Carl.

If I had to recommend one fantasy book outside LOTR it would be Tiganna that book had me enthralled.

Just to echo other member's thoughts Fionavar Tapestry and Tigana are definitely worthwhile reads.

The Fionavar Tapestry was wonderful. Unfortunately, i only read The Summer Tree and The Wandering Fire (Books 1 and 2). The third book was so long in comming out, i didn't notice it when it did. Now, after 20 years, i don't remember the story, only how much i loved it at the time. I think i'll re-read them, once it finish every other book available.

I've only read two of his - The Lions of Al-Rassan and Last Light of the Sun - but they were both excellent. Kay is one of the best prose writers in epic fantasy - I wouldn't go as far as saying he's the best Canadian fantasy writer, but he's quite securely the third best Canadian fantasy writer (behind Bakker and Erikson). The only disappointing thing about Lions was that he wasn't harsh enough on his characters - one of them was brought back to life, more or less, by a doctor, when they should have died.

I have read Tigana and A Song for Arbonne and I was blown away.... he has become one of my all-time favorite authors in just two books! His stories are so well told, and they have something for everyone... both male and female. I liked both of these equally... anyone who's never read Kay is truly missing out.

silvercloak said:
Anyone ever read him. Best Canadian Fanasy Author, though most of his books are kind of historical fiction with fantastical elements in it.

It's funny... hadn't heard of him until very recently, and now I find myself disappointed in things that used to impress me, because Kay is so awesome. Kind-of frustrating, actually. Anyone who loves fantasy and hasn't read one of his books should drop whatever book you are currently reading (yes, I mean right NOW... drop it) and go get Tigana. Great place to start. He's amazing.