Buffy or Angel

True, very true, though I'm more of an Angel girl really.

But what makes me happiest is imagining the two of them together. The ultimate pairing! Too bad most producers are too chicken to make main characters have gay relationships. There are numerus quotes hinting at the fact that there IS something between Angel and Spike.

A favourite is this one from Whedon himself:

"I already had the perfect couple, it was Spike and Angel"

Angel had the handicap of a FAT David Boreanaz for half the series

Ok, read through some responses more carefully, and MAN did that comment annoy me.

a) I know fat, and that man ain't fat during ANY part of the series. To say so is a grave insult to all people struggling with wheight problems.

b) What has it got to do with ANYTHING AT ALL? Does it make him a worse actor? Is the story less good because of it? OK, so he's not supposed to change since he's immortal, but hey, James Martsters doesn't look the same in season five of Angel as he did when he first appeared on Buffy. You can't expect a guy to look the same for that amount of time.

True, very true, though I'm more of an Angel girl really.

But what makes me happiest is imagining the two of them together. The ultimate pairing! Too bad most producers are too chicken to make main characters have gay relationships. There are numerus quotes hinting at the fact that there IS something between Angel and Spike.

A favourite is this one from Whedon himself:

"I already had the perfect couple, it was Spike and Angel"

Willow & Tara?

Willow & Tara?

Willow and Tara are BIG characters (and my hat does come off for the Buffy team for that one) but they are not what I mean when I say MAIN character.

By main character I mean the character the series is ABOUT, eg. Buffy (in Btvs) or Angel (Ats)

Also, I think it's easier to "get away with" creating a lesbian couple (I might be wrong). Male homosexuality often creates more of an outrage. And if you compare what I've seen of the Willow/Tara relationship to for example Spike/Buffy, I think you can tell that the producers were still being cautious. If I'm not misinformed it took ages for them to have a sexscene (because they DO have sexscenes, right?) and compared to the sex in the rest of both of the series, it was very glossed over and careful. Not that I demand explicit gay sexscenes, or explicit sexscenes period, I just think it's an interesting difference.

And this became quite the rant... Sorry :D

I would have to go with Buffy all the way! I started watching Angel but somewhere along the line I stopped. I wasn't a huge fan of David Boreanaz's acting in either Buffy or Angel, but I love him now in Bones.

I agree with Highlander II that the Joyce and Spikes scenes were fantastic.

I also really enjoyed the roles that Cordelia and Anya played

I never liked Tara and wasn't sorry to see her go; I thought Kennedy was a huge improvement

One character that I would loved to have seen more before she was killed and replaced with Faith was Kendra (I loved the relationship between her and Buffy)

Can't wait until Joss's next show comes out Dollhouse:)

Buffy just edges it for me. I've seen every episode of both shows and I felt some of the story arcs of Angel weren't that great, especially since Buffy and Angel were supposed to co-exist in the same universe and a lot of the mythology introduced for Angel made Buffy's existence as the Slayer almost irrelevant.

I thought David Boreanaz was pretty good in Angel, but for me the show was carried by Alexis Denisof, whose character changed most and who brought most of the elements of comedy and tragedy to the show. I liked Amy Acker as well, especially in her second incarnation.

I like Buffy herself a lot more than I did the first time I watched the series, in fact I liked almost all the characters from Buffy, including Tara. Kennedy was all wrong though, because Willow wasn't really gay. I can hear the protests already, but that's my theory and I'm sticking to it ;)

Dollhouse sounds intriguing. I bet Whedon has read All My Sins Remembered by Joe Haldeman.

Last edited:
totally agree Snowdog.... the angel writers really seemed to forget that Buffy existed. it made the shows hard to reconcile.

Agree with Kennedy being all wrong too. At the veryt least i think that she was wrong for Willow... not going to weigh in on whether i though WIllow was really gay or bisexual or just going through a phase... pansexual perhaps...

I too thought that most of the Angel series revolved around Wesley. More things happened to him and more things happened because of him than Angel could have hoped to match.

Both series had loathably annoying characters... i couldn't stand Gunn. he was such a bad stereotype. and that whole thing with the Black Panther in the White Room was just stupid.
Xander was the BtVS character i hated. And i HATED him from the VERY first episode right up to the last. He was weak. we had force-fed moments of his strength... but he was just weak in all other instances.
But still Buffy was away better show than Angel...even with one of the fictional characters i hate most being a main character in it.

I just registered at this site and Wow, these threads are soo old. I mean from 2008?

I was both a Buffy & Angel fan way back then. I loved both of those Josh Whedon series. IMO he changed TV for the better.

But...so much has changed since the 90's it's almost painful to read much of these old threads. The rush of memories from another life in another galaxy long ago and far away. I honestly don't know if I like this website! It seems... IDK... dusty & vacant.

This thread started in 2000 :)

Yes, the site isn't as busy as it used to be when I first joined, but I don't know if it's the site itself or whether it reflects a greater change in the internet and how people use it. I've noticed a steady year-on-year reduction in the old sorts of sites (boards, personal websites) and a move to "provided-for" sites like social networking and blogs, though blogs have started disappearing as well. Most everyone is on Facebook and Twitter.

But these posts still feel relevant to me, since I watch the Buffy DVDs at least once a year so they're always fresh.

And threads for TV shows that were cancelled nine years ago aren't the best places to be if you want to find the dustless threads. ;) The thread being dead for three years isn't as remarkable as that it had outlived the show it was based on by six years (the last post before yours was actually 2009) and that three other threads in this sub-forum had been posted on in 2012.

That said, I agree with Snowdog that everyone seems to be disappearing down the corporate sinkhole. Usenet and IRC forever! (And, okay, the new-fangled posting boards, too.)

The first time watched through the two series, I preferred Angel. However, in more recent times, I have preferred the original over the spinoff. Really, though, they are both fantastic series, just with slightly different moods.
I think Buffy has a bit more comic relief (and good ditto), which creates a slightly lighter mood. Or perhaps it is that Buffy is physically lighter on average, since Angel (the character), being a vampire, has to stay in the shadows, that makes for different moods. I am not sure.

Buffy has some very dark themes, but has a lighter gloss, if that makes sense. Also, there were two versions of Buffy, one that aired early evening, with some of the darker elements cut out, and one that aired late evening. Some people I know think Buffy is just a children's show, so either they never watched it or just saw the early-evening version.

I do prefer Buffy to Angel, though Angel has some standout episodes. But for me some of the Angel story-arcs aren't that great, season 3 and 4 especially.

Personally, I prefer Buffy by a long shot simply because I simply don't like David Boreanaz. I think its a little unfair to say Angel is better because it's "dark". One: Angel wasn't dark. There was an episode where Angel turned into a puppet. It wasn't dark. Two: Buffy was just as "dark" as Angel. Just because Angel had a dark and brooding protagonist as opposed to a blond teen, does mean it is dark and interesting.

As much as I loved Buffy, I would pick Angel.

Fred was great and made even better when she turned.

Wesley became a real character, instead of the comedy British guy.

Spike was better in Angel as well.

Gunn was annoying at times though.

The ending was more emotional than Buffy's too. Wesley's ending especially.

I didn't like the ending for Buffy it was abysmally disappointing! I can hardly remember it or the last final season for that matter. All I remember is the whole town blew up in one massive fireball.

But I'm still a massive fan. I loved the dark humour. And some of my favourite episodes like 'Once more with Feeling episode' and 'Hush' are particularly memorable. I can't believe Joss Whedon wrote and composed many of the songs, what an amazingly talented guy! :)