First Prime of ASciFi
-----------------------------
Creating topic, remember you
can only discuss this episode
inside this topic. Reviews of
the episode are encouraged
-----------------------------

Information from http://www.andromedatv.com

Captain Dylan Hunt (Kevin Sorbo) must save the Andromeda from the Nietzcheans, who are trying to persuade Tyr (Keith Hamilton Cobb) to help them destroy the ship and rebuild his Nietzchean life. His new life would include a wife to carry on his ancestry.

WRITTEN BY MATT KIENE and JOE REINKEMEYER
DIRECTED BY MICHAEL ROHL

Cheers,

Machiavelli's ideas are basically sound ones for the Nietzchean people.

Unforturnately, he was an optimist.

Cerebus Kiimer "Aphorism" - C.Y. 8969

I'll be the writers are having a good time coming up with these little sayings that they show at the beginning of each episode.

Again the Tyr faction is going to be glued to the TV set for the first few moments as Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda begins episode #105, Double Helix. One handed pull-ups. Oh yeah.

Moving to a more 'innocent' scene, Andromeda, fully clothed in a less revealing outfit is walking the corridors of the ship. She sees herself in a view screen and decides to take a closer look. Her lips seem to intrigue her as she starts puckering and pouting at herself. Harper drops down a ladder to land behind her saying "You're welcome." Obviously very pleased with himself.

Rommie: For what?
Harper: The lips. I spent a long time getting those the right shape, right texture.
Rommie: Hum. How very thoughtful of you.
Harper: What? You don't like them?
Rommie: No ... no. I do. They're very ... liplike.
Harper: Then why the look? Which, by the way remember, I programmed into your facial vectors to express displeasure.
Rommie: I can't help but notice that you engineered my humanoid form with certain ... features that, strictly speaking, aren't necessary for my normal operation.
Harper: Ah..."
Rommie: I guess I wonder, Harper, when you made the body who did you do it for?
Harper: Ah, ohh, ah, well for you Rommie ... absolutely for you. Okay I know that look too. It means 'Harper, you're full of it.' Ah ... technically for both of us?
Rommie: Oh really?
Harper: Okay Rommie, you're taking this all wrong. I mean for you because I wanted you to feel the full advantages of being a human woman. You deserve it. And for me in the capacity of an engineer who prices himself on perfectionism. I just wanted everything to be just right.
Rommie: (moving in closer to Harper) So when you handled certain parts of me, did you wear gloves?

The sound of a klaxon saves the day as Beka's voice is then heard over the intercom "All hands to report to command."

Dylan, Beka, and Rev are discussing a space battle that the sensors of the Andromeda have picked up in the sector where they are refueling. Rev identifies the combatants as Than and Nietzschean. The Than are apparently attacking an asteroid. Dylan mentions that they system was supposed to be uninhabited to which Rev replies that it is apprently not. As they witness the combat on the screens, Beka begins giving commentary and instructions to those fighting even though they cannot hear, and one of the Than ships is blown up. Another is sending out a distress call and Dylan decides that they have to help the Than who it appears are outgunned. His plans are to bring the crippled ship into one of the hanger bays and help negotiate a peace between the Nietzscheans and the Than. If he can accomplish that, then he has the beginnings of his idea of rebuilding the Commonwealth.

From my prespective, this is the best episode to date. It addresses a lot of issues that have been left open. Dylan and Tyr give really good performances throughout and I was never sure just who Tyr was going to side with - the little band of Nietzscheans or the Andromeda.

Dylan, through a memory flashback, comes to understand why Rhade did what he did in betraying him and the Commonwealth and also why Rhade said he was proud of him on the bridge just before he died. He comes to understand Tyr a bit more through this as well and, I think, can pretty much see where Tyr is going to stand in the future. It isn't going to be an easy acceptance for either of them. It has built up a different, more workable tension between the two men. Personally I believe that there is some trust building between the two, but that it is a trust based on opponents rather than friends. A quote by Rev very early in the episode is, I believe, going to be a recurring theme throughout the show for quite awhile. "Destroy my enemy by making them my friend."

The viewer is also allowed to learn more about Tyr, his personal background, and some of the reasons the Nietzscheans think they way they do. It, I think, will validate why Tyr reacts the way he does when he is interacting with the rest of the crew. It gives the character more depth and I, for one, can now start feeling for this man and what he has gone through and what he will be going through.

Rev, again, plays to Dylan's conscience when he begins to face his feelings about the destruction of the Commonwealth and the betrayal of Rhade - not just his First Officer, but someone he considered friend enough to ask to be his best man at his wedding. Dylan admits that even though he wants to rebuild the Commonwealth and the ideals it stood for, he is personally having problems with the idea of making peace with the Nietzcheans because all he really wants to do is to kill them all.

Rev then asks him after describing the Magog, why Dylan doesn't feel the same way about them. After Dylan's explanation Rev says, "Then in each species, no matter how horrible, there's room for improvement."

Cheers,

Double Helix

Looking back on the first season, I must concur, Double Helix is not only the best episode but the most important. (And a lot of work for the two main actors. Those were some subtle performances. Kevin Sorbo did a very good job of projecting "I know that you know that I know" at Tyr at the climax.) The Nietzscheans are what GR was aiming at with the Klingons. They are seriously alien, and as Nietzsche himself might have put it (and as Harper does), also human all too human. (By contrast, Rev Bem is just the parish priest. He might as well have a Irish brogue.) The Nietzscheans, however, embody everything we must accept or reject explicitly. I really like how Tyr, unlike a primitive like Guderian, actually struggles with these issues. I hope Freya, with child in tow, shows up again (3d season, a Nietzschean with the terrible two's! MBR take note!) Suppose she does, suppose Tyr continues to drop his hints to Beka, imagine Beka's surprise when she discovers that Freya doesn't really mind, as long as Beka is willing to be the second wife, after her. Then if Beka composes herself and says simply, coolly, that she can do better, Freya smiles (assuming that Beka has her sights on Hunt) and says how proud she is of her (when she is actually relieved to not have the competition from a truly superior female).

For anyone who cares to follow up on the background. Everything I have seen about the Nietzscheans so far is straight out of Thus Spake Zarathustra. Why did no one else see the science fiction potential there for almost a century? Because the Roddenberrys, Gene and Majel Barrett are that smart.

Zarathustra, pt. 1, chap. 10: "Ye shall only have enemies to be hated, but not enemies to be despised. Ye must be proud of your enemies; then, the successes of your enemies are also your successes."

Originally posted by Lonewolf89
I wonder if we'll be seeing Freya in any future episodes?

I think we will, the writers usually dont leave any loose ends for no reason. I dont like the suspense though ;)