Book Clubs?

Discussion in 'Book Club' started by dwndrgn, Jan 7, 2004.

dwndrgn

dwndrgn Fierce Vowelless One Staff Member

Has anyone been a part of a book club before? I've always wanted to start my own as the ones I've heard of read books that really aren't my type.
    Brian Turner

Brian Turner Brian G. Turner Staff Member

A book club? As in one that sells you books - or a circle for reading the same books??

Used to be in one like the first a few years back. Bought some good books that I *still* haven't read. The books were cheap but postage was expensive, and they took every opportunity to send you unwanted books that you would have to return. I wouldn;t join one again.
    dwndrgn

I meant the ones where the group all reads the same book at the same time and then gets together and discusses it.

I don't like the 'buy it' book clubs - I'd rather choose my own books. Besides, the library is cheaper.:D
    SDNess

SDNess New Member

Nope.

We should start one here...every month.
    littlemissattitude

littlemissattitude Super Moderator

Never have. About the only people who do those in my area are older ladies who are only interested in reading either mainstream bestsellers or romance novels. Or, anyway, those are the only ones I've come across.

Personally, I wouldn't be against doing something like that here, but logistics are difficult. One forum I spend time on tried it a few months ago. It took a long time, it seemed like, to negoitiate which book to start with. Then, once it was decided, it didn't seem like that many people wanted to read it. The only way to do it, I think, would be to just take turns deciding which book to read instead of trying to negotiate something that everyone agrees on. Then, whoever wants to read the book and particpate in the discussion can do so.

Another problem is affordability. About the only way to get around this is to choose books that are more than likely to be in everyone's public library, so that if someone wanted to participate but couldn't afford to go out and buy the book they still could be part of it.

All that said, I've always wanted to participate in something like this.

And that's my two cents worth, if it's worth even that much.:)
    Jayaprakash Satyamurthy

Jayaprakash Satyamurthy Knivesout no more

Book discussion groups do seem like fun, but I have to agree that the logistics seem to be a big stumbling block. Still, I wouldn't mind starting with something we are all more or less sure to have, or have easy access to, even if it may seem that there's not much left to say about it - any ideas? Maybe The Hobbit?
    SDNess

SDNess New Member

Yea that sounds good. I sort of went to this forum called the Terran BBS a while ago. They used to (haven't updated the list in a while) do a book club thing every month. That's where I got the idea. Basically, they made a topic for novel nominations (started around two weeks before the next month - if you were voting on the January book, then you would start nominations around mid-December). Once the book was settled, everyone would read the book and discussions would take place a couple weeks later.

As I was just typing that I actually realized what you guys were saying. It is pretty hard. You can't do series (unless everyone is up to date and is ok with going chronologically in a series)...

I dunno. Maybe someone should make a poll to see if there is interest.
    Incognito

Incognito going spare!

Ok - it's a very good idea - and I do need to do some more reading. :)

I also think that, as she sugegsted the idea, that perhaps dwndrgn would be interested in organising it? for example, for setting the groundrules: nomination period, and any nomination criteria for starters - and the reading period for getting specific feedback (if applicable).

Perhaps we could try a couple of books, and if it's going successfully, we could open up an entirely new section of the forums just for the book club?

Sems like the interest is there.

Your call, dwndrgn. :)
    dwndrgn

Oh my. I can't even arrange for dinner of an evening (cereal and milk is popular at my house for that very reason :p) and you want me to organize a book club?

Well, as there seems to be some interest I suppose I will get to working on it.
    littlemissattitude

littlemissattitude Super Moderator

Cereal and milk is good. Just finished my Rice Krispies, as a matter of fact.:)

I do think this is a good idea. And, as much as it sounds daunting, dwndrgn, I think it's a good idea to have just one person organizing it to begin with. The other forum I go to where they tried this seemed like there were too many people trying to write the guidelines and such, and it just turned into a muddle. I think that was why it didn't work out. Too many cooks and all that.:)
    Brian Turner

Brian Turner Brian G. Turner Staff Member

Lordy - that was terrible spelling before of mine (posting as Incognito)!

And it isn't really that daunting. It's just decision making where/when required. :)