Battle of the Titans: Bronn vs Sandor

Who falls?

• Sandor

Votes: 37 41.1%
  • Bronn

Votes: 53 58.9%

• Total voters
And the pit-bull might be lame, sick and tranquilized on religion...

You guys have so little faith in Sandor now that he's hanging out with monks. See my post above. I'd definitely bet that we'll see Sandor kicking ass again before the series ends but with a more controlled, exacting, and cold fury. To me, that's far more dangerous than the emotionally wrecked Sandor that we're used to seeing.

I do believe the GRRM has set up Sandor to be one of the most if not the most skilled warrior/swordsman in the entire series. He probably doesn't get quite the credit he deserves for his skills since he lacks a "Ser" before his name*. I don't believe anyone will be able to match his skill by the end of the series. That doesn't mean he won't die but I would never bet against him in any one-on-one "fair" swordfight.

* As an aside, I believe the northmen also lack recognition for their talent with a sword due to a lack of "Ser" preceding their name. For example, Eddard must have been awesomely skilled to survive the battle at the Tower of Joy yet, as far as I know, he was never knighted since he worships the old gods rather than the Seven.

Wow, this is a tough one. Mostly because I love both of these characters.

I am going to have to go with Sandor winning. Mainly because Bronn had the chance to fight his brother Gregor and he took a pass. I think Bronn would take a look at Sandor and do the same. Would be a good fight though.

...I do believe the GRRM has set up Sandor to be one of the most if not the most skilled warrior/swordsman in the entire series. He probably doesn't get quite the credit he deserves for his skills since he lacks a "Ser" before his name*. I don't believe anyone will be able to match his skill by the end of the series. That doesn't mean he won't die but I would never bet against him in any one-on-one "fair" swordfight...

To name just three people I think are superior swordsman to the hound - Jamie ,Baristan and possibly Brien.

I call your attention to the fight between Jamie and Brien. Jamie seem to review the strongest swordsmen he know, Sendor is there, no doubt, but I think there are enough tourneys in the south to sort out the men from the boys. About the northerners, you probably have a point there, but you don't' need a ser before your name in order to get in to the lists.

Because of Arsten's comments regarding Wiggum's new tourney and because of the last episode on HBO (S2, E9), I'm bumping this thread.

Bronn is the Littlefinger of martial prowess. By this I mean that he actively assesses the fighting quality of every man he sees. Whether they are lounging, practicing in the yard, or standing guard, Bronn checks their armor, their weapons, their balance, their fitness, their tendencies, their styles, etc. He makes mental files on everyone. This is exactly what Littlefinger does. Bronn has a plan before a fight ever occurs. He is a cold and calculated fighter. He'll never fight unless he believes he has a foolproof path to victory or unless cornered.

Only three other characters are like that in ASOIAF. Barristan, Syrio, and Areo. These men consciously size up every potential opponent... during peace. I'm sure many other fine fighters do this subconciously. Shagga, Eddard, Sandor, Victarion, Jaime, and Lyn are examples, I believe. Some are just instinctive with great ability like Gregor, Robert, and Belwas.

Just like no one has been able to corner Littlefinger, catching Bronn without a plan or escape route has proved impossible.

That being said, we're talking a straight up fight between Bronn and the Hound. Bronn has been cornered by Wiggum. His fox tricks are going to avail him little.

If Sandor is sober, and that's iffy, he's an experienced and ruthless killer. He's been caught off guard, he's been attacked with fire, he's been outnumbered, he's been wounded... and yet he's still alive. Don't think he'd let Bronn sucker punch him.

I still say if Sandor is sober, then say farewell to Bronn.

Because of Arsten's comments regarding Wiggum's new tourney and because of the last episode on HBO (S2, E9), I'm bumping this thread.

Bronn is the Littlefinger of martial prowess. By this I mean that he actively assesses the fighting quality of every man he sees. Whether they are lounging, practicing in the yard, or standing guard, Bronn checks their armor, their weapons, their balance, their fitness, their tendencies, their styles, etc. He makes mental files on everyone. This is exactly what Littlefinger does. Bronn has a plan before a fight ever occurs. He is a cold and calculated fighter. He'll never fight unless he believes he has a foolproof path to victory or unless cornered.

Only three other characters are like that in ASOIAF. Barristan, Syrio, and Areo. These men consciously size up every potential opponent... during peace. I'm sure many other fine fighters do this subconciously. Shagga, Eddard, Sandor, Victarion, Jaime, and Lyn are examples, I believe. Some are just instinctive with great ability like Gregor, Robert, and Belwas.

Just like no one has been able to corner Littlefinger, catching Bronn without a plan or escape route has proved impossible.

That being said, we're talking a straight up fight between Bronn and the Hound. Bronn has been cornered by Wiggum. His fox tricks are going to avail him little.

If Sandor is sober, and that's iffy, he's an experienced and ruthless killer. He's been caught off guard, he's been attacked with fire, he's been outnumbered, he's been wounded... and yet he's still alive. Don't think he'd let Bronn sucker punch him.

I still say if Sandor is sober, then say farewell to Bronn.

The fact that Sandor has such a huge weakness (Fire) couldn't elude someone as sharp as Bronn, especially since as you say, he's always gathering intel about his possible opponents.

Well, if you're going to point out the fallacies in my arguments, then I'll just take my posts and go home.

Im going qith the hound.

Sure hes not a fan of fire but i think ina one on one w hia life at stake hed work with it around. Remebr during the attach on kings landing sure he flees due to fire but also be ause hes not ganna put up w fire on behalf of joff the city the rhelm or anything. He does wat he does for himself and of his choosing. Hes not a fan of fire but in a duel i dont think it would be his undoing... the booze though maybe lol.the hound does not fear death..

Now bron is good how ever i find him to be cocky and somtimes overly confident. Fears defeat or death by his decline to fight the mountain. And as i said hes cocky... those qith that type of attitude usually end up failing eventually.

I like um both but on those baaic thoughts I vote the hound!

I have to go with Bronn for the win because as Pilpel points out, Sandor does have one major weakness and you can be certain Bronn knows it and would use it if at all possible.

But Beric was no slouch, before he was killed ten times, and Sandor overcame his ignoble use of fire.

Bronn falls. Sandor at his best (not drunk), has been very successful at melee, rescues, and even scrums in the real world.

Well, if you're going to point out the fallacies in my arguments, then I'll just take my posts and go home.

Boaz - I admire your posts and am inspired by you, somehow you always find new and innovative things to post (that I could never hope to come up with, with the minute experience I have in literature).
No offence meant... :)

Bronn for the Win.

In a wierd way, I think Sandor is more honourable than Bronn. The hound didn't want to become a knight because, in his eyes, knights have no honour. I think it is a tarnished and jaded sort of honour but there none the less. Bronn on the other hand wouldn't be above throwing sand in his eyes, kicking him in the crotch and swinging the hound around by his cloak.

Pilpel, I was attempting some humor. In America, kids play lots of games with balls... baseball, football, basketball... and it's very common to hear the kid, who owns the only ball in the entire group, get upset and shout, "I'm gonna take my ball and go home" if he does not get his way. This is the method for a less athletic kid to prove he's important. It's just a childish expression to mean "If I don't get my way, then I'll ruin it for everyone!"

Please continue to point out the inconsistencies in my reasoning, it's the only way I'll ever learn.

While watching the series showdown, (which i know didnt happen in the book) I was more afraid for Bronn than i was of Sandor, even though they showed Bronn with the dagger behind his back implying he would have had the advantage of surprise. Sandor is a beast! He said it best when he said he only likes killing, and he does it quite well.

The many variables that everone has pointed out would definitely deterimine who would have the advantage. However, if both are sober, both with or without armour, no fire, if Arya isnt there to help, and if it was a fight to the death. It pains me to say it, but i would have to go with Sandor.

Nevertheless, I think Bronn may have had an excuse to not fight him as he did with Big Brother....lol

Sandor would fall. Bronn will most certainly exploit the Hound's fear of fire and thus win the battle. I'm not even sure whether this is a challenge or not. I mean, assuming that Bronn doesn't have a chance to use fire, it would be hard for Sandor to win. We've seen Bronn fight Vardis Egen and win with ease. I am certain he would take the same approach again.

Hmmm.... Tough call. But for me winning in a fight is all heart. Bronn may have advantage of cold intelligence on his side, but the Hound is true, stubborn fighter. So my vote goes to Sendor, I believe he is the one who would be more able to pull through in this fight, as it would be deadly for both of them, and at the end I believe that the force of will would decide, and that is where Sandor has the advantage.

Back