Lovecraftian Cinema

A couple of things I should give people a head's-up about. One is the H.P. Lovecraft Film Festival, held each year in Portland, Oregon around the first weekend in October; this year it will be the 6-8. You can find out information on events, programming, etc. by going to lurkerfilms.com; they are also, I just found out a few days ago, going to have one here in Austin on August 20, in celebration of HPL's birthday. This will be held at the Alamo Drafthouse downtown, and will include a big-screen presentation of the silent Call of Cthulhu, a 16mm presentation of the old Night Gallery episode "Pickman's Model", a host of small indie films presented by Andrew Migliore (the man who began the festival and runs Lurker Films), and a midnight presentation of Cast a Deadly Spell, a sort of a cross between HPL and the Chandler/Hammett school of detective fiction that originally aired on HBO.

The October festival is usually attended by people such as Lovecraft scholar S. T. Joshi, director Stuart Gordon (Re-Animator, From Beyond, Dagon, etc.) and I understand that Ramsey Campbell and Peter Straub are also supposed to be present this year....

And, speaking of Stuart Gordon, I finally got around to seeing Castle Freak, based (very) loosely on HPL's "The Outsider"... I hate to say it, but don't bother. It has some nice moments, some good camera work and good ideas here and there ... and is almost totally lifeless. It simply lacks any sort of verve at all, which is a pity.

Unfortunately I'm on the wrong side of the world also. I'd have loved to have seen Call Of The Cthulhu on the big screen:(

All right; I've been meaning to get to this all week, but it's been a wonky week and I've not really had much of a chance to organize my thoughts, but here goes:

As stated, last week (August 20) I attended the H. P. Lovecraft Film Festival here in Austin at the Alamo Drafthouse. I include that information because, according to the response it got, it looks like Andrew Migliore, the founder of the festival (held yearly in Portland, Oregon in October) will be coming back here next year around HPL's birthday again for this new offshoot of the original; so those unable to make it to Portland now have another option to see some of these often rarely seen films.

The program began with a presentation of the old Night Gallery adaptation of "Pickman's Model", which it was nice to see again for the first time in 35 years (lord! it's been that long???) yet which, as is all too typical with Hollywood adaptations of the Old Gent's tales, fell flat because it ended up going with the "guy-in-a-rubber-suit" monster at the end. Had they avoided that, despite the addition of a romantic involvement, it might have been an adequate, though not good production. Nonetheless, it had its moments and, as I said, was quite nice to see after all this time.

This was followed by a presentation on the big screen of the recent 47-minute silent short adaptation of "The Call of Cthulhu" by the H. P. Lovecraft Historical Society; a film which has garnered much well-deserved praise. For those who have not seen this, I cannot recommend it highly enough. It was done on a shoestring budget by fans of Lovecraft and, despite literally being done in a basement and in a back yard, is actually quite a beautiful film, and extremely faithful to the story, capturing much of the flavor not only of the story itself, but of the silent-movie era with astonishing eclat. If you have any chance to see it, this is definitely one not to be missed.

After a rather lengthy break for a special presentation of Trainspotting, there was a rather lengthy presentation of several short, amateur, independent and student films based on Lovecraft's work, including: two shorts by Richard Corben (adaptations of two of the Fungi from Yuggoth sonnets); Maryia's Hubris (a modern loose adaptation of the central theme of "The Thing on the Doorstep") from Germany; Christian Matzke's adaptation of "Nyarlathotep"; a film titled Between the Stars, which was a very interesting take on the HPL fragment "The Book" (a tad slow, but fascinating visually), as well as several others, both animated films and live action, and culminating in a presentation of Austinite Cathy Welch's 1980 Master's thesis adaptation of "Pickman's Model" (which I had the pleasure of seeing all the way back then). This one is interesting because, despite being filmed in Austin and on a student budget, it actually captures much more of the atmosphere and charm of Lovecraft's story, even with the updating necessary for costs, than the earlier Night Gallery episode. Of course, it suffers from the flaws of trying to adapt a tale centered around 300-year-old sections of Boston to a town dating back not quite 150 years; but it is nonetheless an admirable and very enjoyable effort, well worth seeing.

And the program wrapped up with a screening of the 1991 HBO film Cast a Deadly Spell, featuring Fred Ward as hard-bitten private eye Philip Lovecraft; a quirky, entertaining, and quite successful blending of Raymond Chandler and Lovecraft featuring such actors as David Ward, Julianne Moore and Charles Hallahan. Set in the late 1940s in Los Angeles, at a time where literally everyone uses magic of some sort, which has consequently become big business; the only holdout against this is Lovecraft, who believes in standing on his own two feet and his ethics, both of which frequently take a beating, especially when he is hired to find a certain book stolen from a rich collector's library: the infamous Necronomicon. The problem is that the reason he has been hired to find the book is hardly as straightforward as it at first seems.... And, again, for those who have not seen this (as I had not, until this opportunity), this is one well worth seeking out. The tongue-in-cheek aspects only rarely mar the overall excellent production, and for any fan of either film noir, Lovecraft, or the hard-bitten Hammett/Chandler school of detective fiction, this one is a rare treat.

As for the shorts... they proved a somewhat mixed bag (I must admit that I grow weary of all female figures in Corben -- including what must be a very bizarre sort of dryad in one of these -- having huge breasts; it would be nice to have a bit of variety, at least); nonetheless they were all at least interesting, and many were actually quite impressive.

So, for anyone who has a chance, by all means attend the film festival either this year in Portland in October, or next year (the Elder Gods willing) here in Austin in August or in Portland in October. For more information on tickets and the various attendees (such as, I understand, Ramsey Campbell and Stuart Gordon, as well as HPL scholar S. T. Joshi) for the one in October, all such can be found at the parent website www.lurkerfilms.com or at www.hplfilmfestival.com. You can also find out about the three volumes of the H. P. Lovecraft film collection (of which a fourth is due out later this year), all of which I highly recommend.

Hope to see some of you next year!

Thanks for the report j.d. Sounds like an entertaining jaunt into the world of H.P. and a good time for all involved:)

Well, something was posted in the Cthulhu Mythos in films thread on this, and I just looked up the trailer, so here's the link:
http://www.cthulhuthemovie.com/cthulhutrailer.htm

Now, I'm a bit concerned with the casting of Tori Spelling, but it looks (from the cast information on the site) that she plays a very minor role, so she may be used to good effect here. Whether the film itself will be good, bad, or indifferent, who knows? But it at least looks like they're not trying to a) slavishly follow a Lovecraft story with no regard to changes necessary for cinematic adaptation b) use a Lovecraft title to draw an audience while completely eschewing anything to do with the Old Gent altogether, or c) making it into a splatterfest with tentacles. At least it looks like they're using the mythic ideas as a springboard for exploring their own ground (very much what Grandpa had in mind, I'd say after reading his letters more than once), and so we could actually end up with a Hollywood-produced Lovecraftian film of substance... I remain sceptical, but we'll see.

Japan has done afew Lovecraftian toned movies, most recently Marebito staring Shinya Tsukamoto. They also did a version of Shadow Over Innsmouth that I would kill to see, but I have never found it anywhere, if anyone has any information on this please let me know.

I believe this is the one you're talking about:

http://www.thelurker.com/tv/innsmouthwoooukage.htm

To the best of my knowledge, it still remains unavailable outside Japan, but I'd definitely love to see the thing if I could lay my hands on it ... and with the growing interest in HPL, I'd think some enterprising DVD producer would go ahead and translate the thing.... with just a little advertising in some of the fan sites, it'd be money in the bank....

Ozymandias, here's a link to Lurker Films, which have not only that one, but several others worth checking out...

http://www.lurkerfilms.com/

They're apparently updating their website, as they've got several new things in the works, and they just held the 2006 Portland festival, but you can still access their info and find out about this one.

Out of mind:the Stories of HP Lovecraft(1998) is a remarkable 1hr gem featuring Hp Lovecraft as a character, and is part of a DVD set. I highly recommend it, as well as Dagon.

Ah, yes... that one is one of the best of the Lovecraft-related films. Very nice indeed. Was a bit nervous about it when I first got it -- I'd heard such good things about it that I was afraid I'd be disappointed... oh, was I wrong!

By the way... have you got the latest of their releases, the new disc with the various versions of "Pickman's Model" on it (including Chilean Gothic)? I hadn't thought it was out yet, but I've run into one or two things that indicate it may be.....

And I'd be interested to hear what you thought of Rough Magick as well... I rather liked the subtle touches with some parts of that one, and the way they played with some of his ideas.... As I said elsewhere, the best work -- or most of it -- being done with HPL when it comes to film is through the smaller producers/directors and such; though Dagon is definitely a film that has grown on me tremendously over several viewings... much more to that film than first meets the eye.....

I enjoyed In the Mouth of Madness. While it's not based on any particular HPL story it does have many Lovecraftian elements and homages. There's a protagonist telling his story from an insane asylum while proclaiming his sanity, dangerous books of forbidden knowledge, and nasty things with tentacles trying to return to and rule our world. I found it to be great fun, but I gather it's a bit of love or hate...

I liked Rough Magick and wish it were on DVD.

I enjoyed In the Mouth of Madness. While it's not based on any particular HPL story it does have many Lovecraftian elements and homages. There's a protagonist telling his story from an insane asylum while proclaiming his sanity, dangerous books of forbidden knowledge, and nasty things with tentacles trying to return to and rule our world. I found it to be great fun, but I gather it's a bit of love or hate...

I liked Rough Magick and wish it were on DVD.

It is:

Arkham Bazaar, The Bazaar of the Bizarre ... Lovecraft, Cthulhu, Poe, Movies, DVDs

Vol. II of the HPL Collection.

And yes, I quite like In the Mouth of Madness myself. I don't think it holds up quite as well on repeated viewings, but it remains a fun film, and some elements of it do manage to keep their eeriness and bizzarrerie over time; so I'd add my recommendation to that.

And... hello and welcome to the Chronicles! Glad to see another Lovecraft fan here... very soon now, the stars will be right!

Well, how can we not mention Re-Animator. For all its flaws (which are numerous), it is still one of the most entertaining, gross-outs I've ever seen. In some ways, of course, it borders on mocking Lovecraft, but I think the makers of the film had a deep bond for the source material and just added in their own twisted viewpoint.

Just seen it, crazy film, as for it's problems, yes it's acting is B-movie level, but it's compellingly off the wall

compare it with the stalk and slash silliness of modern horror outings

I enjoyed In the Mouth of Madness

I couldn't help feeling sad watching the film, I felt it was another step in the decline of one of the great Genre Film-makers of the last 40 years

I couldn't help feeling sad watching the film, I felt it was another step in the decline of one of the great Genre Film-makers of the last 40 years

I'm rather curious: would you care to expand on that one? While I would agree the film has some grave flaws, I felt it handled several of the concepts quite well, and Carpenter's homage to HPL was done more imginatively than I would have expected (for the most part -- occasionally it got a bit heavy-handed).

So... would you be willing to explain what it was about the film that caused that reaction?

A heads up for all you Lovecraftian types: Lurkerfilms have Volume 4 of the HP Lovecraft Collection available on DVD.

Mine is on its way:)