Happy Birthday America!

carrie221 said:
unhuh... then why do many of you come down here? I keep seeing plates from up there.:confused:
To golf, ride roller coasters, and buy cheap—if unappealing—beer.
carrie221 said:
But thanks for the hug.
Any time.
carrie221 said:
Hockey still sucks!:p
You're just young, so you don't know.

carrie221 said:
I have a few questions...

What is rounders?

And who actually watches cricket? The game makes no sense and is boring... unlike baseball which is at least semi-interesting :)
Rounders kids play that in the UK going base to base, but have not seen that in years but I now live in a large city.
I don't like cricket, football(soccer) even less, so glad the rugby season has started:D

Actually since someone's already derailed this thread completely I've got something which I've never really understood about baseball (not the rules, they're kept purposely simple I imagine... :D ). Why so many games in a season?
American Football is only 16 weeks long for most teams, Hockey is longer but mostly seasonal as well from my limited understanding but I've seen teams play over 100+ games of baseball - isn't that from one extreme to the other?
They may be overpayed nancyboys playing a girls game but at least per game they're probably cheaper than their NFL equivalents.

I think it has become part of the Baseball tradition. Plus they are hard as nails and play most nights of the week as opposed to once a week like other sports. Baseball is all about tradition.

Winters_Sorrow said:
Why so many games in a season?
American Football is only 16 weeks long for most teams, Hockey is longer but mostly seasonal as well from my limited understanding but I've seen teams play over 100+ games of baseball - isn't that from one extreme to the other?
They may be overpayed nancyboys playing a girls game but at least per game they're probably cheaper than their NFL equivalents.

Baseball has typically the third longest season. Basketball and Hockey (all three including playoffs) both have longer seasons. Baseball weeds out all but eight teams by playoff time and is done in 3 rounds. Basketball has 16 playoff teams and Hockey has more playoff teams than non. BAseball appears longer because they play series of game and manage 6 days a week. Basketball and Hockey travel more often and play about half as many games.

Who, me too lazy to start a new thread?
This is recycling, it's ecological.
Besides, do the USA deserve a brand new thread?
Ducks

Happy 4th of July. Baseball? Its a kind of softball right? *grins*

Why so many games in a season?... They may be overpayed nancyboys playing a girls game...
That's the key right there. Baseball isn't as hard on a body as other sports are. The players in other sports spend that time between games recovering from all that the game took out of them and punished them with. But in baseball, except for occasional bursts of activity of a few seconds, there's almost no physical action, just waiting around for the next brief burst. And you don't keep routinely getting into collisions or multi-player falls (and on those rare occasions when you do it's with leaner, lighter guys who aren't wearing armor), so there's little chance of injury and what injuries you do get aren't usually as serious.

Remember the phrase that it's the national "passtime" or "pastime". There's a reason why they didn't say it's the national "sport". It was deliberately designed not for action or excercise or risk/danger, but to occupy large amounts of time when there's nothing else to do. And if you're designing something that's intended to be done for a long time over and over, you design it so that it CAN be done for a long time over and over, which means you design it NOT to have much physical exertion or chance of injury in it.

Baseball's boring as heck, but you do have to be able to move from standing still to being very fast in the blink of an eye. Its all reflex. Still, doesn't beat rugby. Those Australians are crazy.

Happy and safe 4th of July Americans!

We are doing our usual bbq and fireworks.

Baseball's boring as heck, but you do have to be able to move from standing still to being very fast in the blink of an eye. Its all reflex. Still, doesn't beat rugby. Those Australians are crazy.

Happy and safe 4th of July Americans!

We are doing our usual bbq and fireworks.
With that toe?
Well, I suppose barbeque does get the males doing the cooking.
Look after yourself, y'hear?

I think of America and I think of her great Americans:

Abraham Lincoln (English)
Orson Welles (German)
Marvin Gaye (African)
Louis Armstrong (African)
Bix Beiderbecke (German - Dutch??)
Gene Kelly (Irish)
Charlie Chaplin (English)
Robert Oppenheimer (German)
George Gershwin (German Jew)
Irving Berlin (German Jew)
Frank Sinatra (Italian)
Martin Luther King (African)
John Fitzgerald Kennedy (Irish)
Superman (Kryptonian, Fictional)
George Walker Bush (Wish he was fictional, too)

God Bless the Planet.

Errr interference, weren't they all Americans ? How can one claim nationality to a country he's never seen ?:confused:

(Apart from anything else, that kind of thinking would make me Irish, and I've never even been there.)