Terms of Use

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Brian Turner, Jun 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Brian Turner

Brian Turner Brian G. Turner Staff Member

Although I posted up a generic "Code of Conduct" a while back, I realised recently that I should go back and revise this.

I'll post what I have so far below - if anyone wishes to raise any points of dicussion or questions about it then you are more than welcome to.

I appreciate that a couple of points may look a little harsh, but absolutely nothing below represents a change in policy, as much as tries to make clear key points for the benefit of newer members,

Chronicles network forum Terms of Use

Conduct

1. We aim to uphold a good standard of conduct in the forums.

Please respect other members and avoid making posts that may be seen as personally offensive. We don’t allow flame wars here.

Please note that this applies both to public postings and Private Messages.

2. We don’t allow content of an adult or graphic nature to be posted on the forums.

3. Please moderate your language and avoid swearing and expletives. The only exception to this is written fiction posted for critique.

Even then, if you wish to post writing of a strong nature, please consider whether a general forum is going to be a suitable place for useful feedback.

4. It is not acceptable for any member to use the forum to make sexual advances against other members.

5. The chronicles network forum is a discussion forum, not a text messaging service. Please endeavour to write words intstead of text messages, as txt mssgs are liable to be removed.

Promotion:

6. As a general rule, self promotion by new members is frowned upon and will likely be treated as spam. This includes promotion of own non-commercial websites.
    Established members are welcome to share their websites/books with other members and facilities may be provided for this.

7. A PHP script is in place to prevent forum spamming. This also means that new members cannot post links until they have reached 15 posts.

Our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause, but it is very effective at stopping abuse of the forum by people looking to join simply to advertise affiliate sites.

8. Affiliate links are not welcome – please refrain from posting them.

Disciplinaries

9. There is no formal disciplinary procedure.

Where threads may become argumentative, a member of staff may advise that posters re-consider their behaviour.

In the event that staff need to more directly moderate a member behaviour, a Private Message may be sent advising that such behaviour is not acceptable.

Members who ignore such warnings and continue disruptive behaviour may find their access to the site suspended, either temporarily or permanently.

Please note that we may at our discretion and without either warning or explanation ban any person from accessing to the forums.

This treatment is usually reserved for disruptive persons, spammers, and those seeking to harm other members or even the chronicles site directly.

Copyright & Privacy

1. While members are regarded as holding copyright over their own postings, once you post to the public forums, you grant the chronicles network non-exclusive permission to publish the content, and we may edit or remove such content as we see fit.

You may not demand any forum content to be deleted – if you do not wish your content to be posted, you should not publish it to the forums in the first place.

2. While we will endeavour to protect the privacy of members, we reserve the right to access any member’s private messages at any time and at our discretion.

Such a decision will never be taken lightly, and is principally reserved only for investigating rare reports of serious abuses of behaviour.

If you do not agree to these Terms of Use, then please do not join or post on the forums.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2013
    hopewrites likes this.
    ThomasTye

ThomasTye New Member

Established members are welcome to share their websites/books with other members and facilities may be provided for this.

6. A PHP script is in place to prevent forum spamming. This also means that new members cannot post links until they have reached 15 posts.

Brian,

Can you please better define the word "established" for me, not to mention what a "facility" is? Also, in order to promote the peace capital of Sri Lanka I always sign off all emails and other writings with the website address to the backpackers hotel I run in Sri Lanka. While this isn't 100% for self promotion because through the peace work that I do I want all people to see how a Buddhist, Muslim, and Hindu temple are side by side...if not to see first=hand, to at least get the idea in their heads that such a place can exist in the world. Is this allowed, or is it still a no no?

Thank you again for not being too harsh on a newbie, and I just want to say that since you do not benefit any more than having a bigger heart for helping on this forum I applaud you for being so kind in all the advice you give to people.

Thomas Tye
    Brian Turner

Simply put, we don't tolerate people joining up to chronicles and then simply promoting to us. While if you run a multifaith template that's great, it has absolutely nothing to do with science fiction and fantasy, and isn't in the least appropriate - anymore than my visiting your temple simply to flypost ads for chronicles on your walls. :)
    Varty

Varty New Member

Magnificent site!

Remarkable site at You! Only here I have found that so long and unsuccessfully searched on the Internet.
    Hardan

Hardan New Member

This is a great sight.

it's first class!Very interesting site.I am also webmaster and I like this one!Thank you!
    Brian Turner

Just to advise that I've updated the forum rules:

That's after we had a few members treating chronicles as a place to seemingly post txt mssgs.
    Paige Turner

Paige Turner Just another busted robot

I heartily endorse the mandatory use of words. In my experience, they're a very effective tool for communication.
    hopewrites likes this.
    scalem X

scalem X I am, the scallywag

Lol it's a joke and out of place, but I couldn't but notice;) .
    short forms like "members" won't be tolerated, now the new chronicles spelling:
    "memebers":p .
    Now serious:
    I have been thinking about this; it's good that one can't force you letting posts of him/her get deleted. But how about asking to change/delete some things if they don't obstruct the other posts.
    dustinzgirl

dustinzgirl Mod of Awesome

That is my favorite rule. As a mod on other forums, I get tired of trying to explain the literacy clauses to kids. They just don't get it.
    Brian Turner

Typos I don't have a problem with. :)

Bt ple who cum hr 2 txt cn fck ff ;)
    Alia

Alia Young at Heart

:eek: Wow...
    Teresa Edgerton

Teresa Edgerton Goblin Princess Staff Member

I agree with Paige. The practice of using actual words has much to recommend it. (And the humble vowel is not yet obsolete.)
    Brian Turner

Think "Father Ted", if you've ever seen it. There's an "e" between the "f" and "ck". :)
    Rane Longfox

Rane Longfox Red Rane

Yeah, right:p
    Paige Turner

Paige Turner Just another busted robot

That's not nearly as shocking as referring to the guy as a "butt pole."
    Alia

Alia Young at Heart

Nope didn't know Father Ted. I was a sheltered child.

And I was only razzing you Brian. I don't think I have ever seen you come so close to using bad language before... it was shocking.
    sanityassassin

sanityassassin he's the madcap pusher

lucky typos are allowed or myself and half the members couldn't post lol
    Brian Turner

Just to clarify - typos are fine, and we're not turning chronicles over to the grammar police. :)

It's simply where someone joins and all they post is 1 line text messages. I really don't think that's suitable for this sort of environment, and needs to be discouraged.

By the way, about to buy my first house, and also probably about to spend a stupid amount of money expanding chronicles - so maybe I'm a little more on edge than normal. :)
    Adasunshine

Adasunshine Everything in Moderation

Everyone should watch Father Ted, probably one of the best sitcoms ever made!

xx
    Alia

Alia Young at Heart

Darn parents for living way out in no man's land!

Congrats on the house buying!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.