"Personal" question(s) to John Jarrold

Brown Rat said:
John, do you only take UK authors as clients? Or do you also take US authors?

Oh, I'm international! I also have two Australian clients and one from Serbia, Zoran Zivkovic! I see about thirty submissions a week by e-mail from all over the world.

dustinzgirl said:
And, in regards to the question above, do you find that UK and US markets differ quite a bit in the sf/f world? I mean, UK fiction seems so, classic...but then again, that is probably because I have only been exposed to the classics in that way, and the language much more striking, where as US markets seem so technical and pointed but not always classy. Japanese writings seem to be the most beautiful, constantly conveying emotion without ever saying emotion....which is a large point of thier language.

Anyways, I guess what I am really asking is: do different styles have a better chance in a different country market?

Some authors work well in both the UK and US, but because of the size of the US market, much that is published there doesn't see the light of day from UK publishers. I think it's pretty much agreed that the best new SF in recent years has come from UK authors, including Alastair Reynolds, Charles Stross, Richard Morgan, Neal Asher, Jon Courtenay Grimwood, Justina Robson and others. They're quite different writers, and all published in the US too, so I certainly wouldn't say there is a complete divide. But standard epic fantasy from new writers isn't being published so much over here now - although, interestingly, more Australian fantasy authors have seen UK publication recently.

Basically, I'd say that intelligent, character- and story-led SFF novels that lead into a series or a repeating world are more likely to see UK publication than standard action SFF, although the latter is still published in the US.

John Jarrold said:
and one from Serbia, Zoran Zivkovic

I've not read much of Zoran Zivkovic's work, although what I've read I've enjoyed a great deal. Very interesting and absorbing stories. Wonderful and one to read more!

Yes, Pete Crowther at PS Publishing is doing quite a bit of his work, and I'm also talking to the mainstream publishers...which is a long job, though it's fascinating to hear their take on an author like Zoran.

John Jarrold said:
Basically, I'd say that intelligent, character- and story-led SFF novels that lead into a series or a repeating world are more likely to see UK publication than standard action SFF, although the latter is still published in the US.

I should also say that just about every genre editor in London has told me recently that they can't take on 'literary' SF or fantasy. They are looking for mainstream, commercial novels.

Well of course they are. TV killed the Radio star and Publishers killed Literacy. OK, well maybe not that drastic, but reading some of the sludge I've seen lately in my SF/F section, it feels that way sometimes.

dustinzgirl said:
reading some of the sludge I've seen lately in my SF/F section, it feels that way sometimes.

I wouldn't call any of the British SF authors I mentioned above 'sludge'! They're all intelligent and they all tell very good stories. Too much literary fiction is experimental and forgets story and character...

John Jarrold said:
I wouldn't call any of the British SF authors I mentioned above 'sludge'! They're all intelligent and they all tell very good stories. Too much literary fiction is experimental and forgets story and character...

Oh no, I was talking about US authors.

Like me.

:p

LOL.

John Jarrold said:
Yes, Pete Crowther at PS Publishing is doing quite a bit of his work, and I'm also talking to the mainstream publishers...which is a long job, though it's fascinating to hear their take on an author like Zoran.

It has to be said, what Pete Crowther is doing with his ‘Postscripts’ little gem of a digest, is wonderful. A great way of tasting a variety of authors’ work. I’ll be scraping my subscription together somehow, soon, for sure. Plus, the guy himself came across as a decent chap when I met him; keen eye contact and attentiveness I like.

I've known Pete for almost twenty years, and published his first anthology, NARROW HOUSES, back around 1990. A great and good man!

Not a question as such, more a comment...

I remember the name John Jarrold from back when I first started submitting work to publishers, around 13 years ago (the horror, the horror...). I think the biggest frustration for aspiring writers was that you never got anything more than a standard rejection slip and no way to just discuss what was right and what was wrong.

So I think it's fantastic that John has become a regular on these boards, and can answer the questions of writers and just generally act as a listening ear. It surely means a lot to an awful lot of people. What a great thing the internet is, eh?
This is evidence of someone who really cares about their work, and all that goes with it. Long may it continue.

(By the way John - do you remember my manuscript? It was typed in black on white A4 paper, you couldn't miss it.) :D

Yes, that rings a bell!

Of course the problem that publishers face is two-fold. Firstly, they receive up to thirty typescripts every week, so they don't have time to enter into correspondence. Secondly, they are running an imprint, publishing somewhere between thirty and seventy books a year, with all that entails - so they don't have time to enter into correspondence. You should see a pattern emerging here!

I like talking to writers about books and publishing. I'm absent from the forum sometimes because I too have to concentrate on my professional work, but I check as often as I can...

But see the advantages John.
By explaining stuff on the forum, we writers can think twice about our manuscripts before we send them in, taking more time(1) and making it higher quality(2).
(1) and (2) result in general in less work for you, why can't you see the pattern?

"Your novel has been rejected, for more info: see chronicles-network.com":D :D :D :D

John Jarrold said:
Yes, that rings a bell!

Of course the problem that publishers face is two-fold. Firstly, they receive up to thirty typescripts every week, so they don't have time to enter into correspondence. Secondly, they are running an imprint, publishing somewhere between thirty and seventy books a year, with all that entails - so they don't have time to enter into correspondence. You should see a pattern emerging here!

I like talking to writers about books and publishing. I'm absent from the forum sometimes because I too have to concentrate on my professional work, but I check as often as I can...
You must be very busy too, I've seen your name on news items recently where you have I think at least three new clients in the sff field? Congrats and may your business continue to prosper along with those of your clients :)

dwndrgn said:
You must be very busy too, I've seen your name on news items recently where you have I think at least three new clients in the sff field?

And the rest! The poor guy must be drowning in a sea of talent!

I now have just over twenty-five clients - I've turned down over 1200 authors. Done three major deals with UK publishers in recent months: three fantasy novels by Stephen Hunt, with HarperCollins Voyager; two Malazan fantasy novels by Ian Cameron Esslemont, who co-created the Malazan world with Steven Erikson, with Bantam; and three SF novels by Philip Palmer with Orbit. Interesting times...