~Submitted my manuscript: What next?

I said:
Alternatively, don't submit to publishers and simply target literary agents instead - much quicker response. :)

A very good point. Response from publishers in the UK - 3-4 months. Response from Literary Agents 2-6 weeks. That's a big time saver.

Mark Robson said:
A very good point. Response from publishers in the UK - 3-4 months. Response from Literary Agents 2-6 weeks. That's a big time saver.

Also, last time I checked, there were barely any UK publishers that were taking non-agented submissions in any case.

Maybe that solves the whole thing. Multiply submit to agents (they certainly don't mind it). Then they do the whole multiple-submission thing for you. Simple! ;)

You've all beaten me to the point! As I was reading this thread I kept wondering just how many publishers could this manuscript be sent to? Almost none of the majors accept unagented submissions. If you're going the small press route, I suppose I see where this is all coming from. But then the real question is why haven't you gone the agent--major house route first? Unless you absolutely know your story is in a small niche market, you might as well take the time to start at the top. If you don't believe in your work enough to do that, then all of this conversation is pointless.

I, personally, check an agent's submission requirements before submitting. Some don't mind being one of a number of multiple-submissions, some do, some want to be told of the fact, some don't.

Go by the guidelines, submit what an agent/publisher requests, it's very simple...;)

Two screenwriters about busted their noggins just to get to my time travel novel about Amelia Earhart. The Algonquin Writers Conference has accepted me (only 15 are invited) to their conference. My editors (3) and various well-read readers found the book to be a great read. But agents are another bit of skullduggery that baffels me. They set and wait for something new and exciting to come along then pass it up. Agents have said everything about my book from poor writing style to unsellable, to fabulous writing, to 'should you find a house to publish you, it will sell very well.' It amaze me that Harry Potter was picked out of a slush pile!!!!