About the Publishing board

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by Brian Turner, May 7, 2006.

Brian Turner

Brian Turner Brian G. Turner Staff Member

The Publishing board is for questions and answers on the publishing industry.

UK literary agent John Jarrold is especially happy to try and answer your questions, and there are a growing number of published writers, editors, and even publishers on chronicles, who may also wish to offer their insights.

I'd like to especially thank them for taking their time to try and help new writers, and hope that it can only be useful to you.

Please note that this board is not for posting work for critique - please use the Critiques board for that.
    John Jarrold

John Jarrold New Member

Apologies for not being around - eight of my clients delivered novels in July and three more in August. I've been reading and editing like a madman, and I also had a computer problem. Hey-ho! Should be back in action within seven days.
    dustinzgirl

dustinzgirl Mod of Awesome

Its all good John, we still think you are the bestest! :p
    Brian Turner

Nice to see you back, John - hope things work out well. :)
    littlemissattitude

littlemissattitude Super Moderator

Sounds like you've had a busy summer, John. I'd just like to add my thanks for all the time you spend here answering questions and giving advice.
    John Jarrold

John Jarrold New Member

Gawd bless you, my child...!
    John Jarrold

John Jarrold New Member

It really is my pleasure. It's a Good Thing for industry professionals to be made to think about WHY they do things in specific ways, by answering questions on forums like this, rather than just doing them!
    SJAB

SJAB The storyteller

And this has helped me enormously. Logically I knew that publishing was a business, like any other, and had its own code of practices. But somehow when it came down to submitting my manuscripts paranoia seemed to set in and I started taking things too personally. Something I never have done in connection with my "real life" jobs. Just having someone from the industry prepared to explain the whys and wherefores has been invaluable.

Good to see you back on the boards, John. Hope you managed to enjoy some of the good weather we had in between all the hard work.
    Justin Thorne

Justin Thorne www.justinthorne.com

Hey, so this is where everyone is hanging out!

Great place you got here, I'm enjoying my little look around.
    John Jarrold

John Jarrold New Member

Just wanted to wish everyone here all the best for Christmas and the New Year!

JJ
    Brian Turner

Merry Christmas, too - hope you have a quiet one. :)
    John Jarrold

John Jarrold New Member

My ex-partner, Nancy, has taken pity on me after the horrors of the last couple of months and invited me down to Bath, to stay with her. I'll be cooking the Christmas lunch, and making mince pies on Christmas Eve afternoon to the sound of carols from King's College Cambridge on the radio. Very traditional!
    SJAB

SJAB The storyteller

Best to you, John, hope you have a good Christmas and a good start to the New Year.
    John Jarrold

John Jarrold New Member

Okay, stuffed with free-range chicken, Christmas pudding and mince pies! Time for hard work...and a diet...

Happy New Year, when it comes...
    Jack7

Jack7 New Member

Dear Mr. Jarrold (and/or Brian, Administrator),

I would like to ask you a question concerning editorial and publishing policy regarding works posted to the internet.

Should a write of fiction post their works to the internet? Is it a wise thing to do?

For instance if a fiction author posts their work to an internet site, be it public or semi-private, (so that others may view the work) will this later interfere with an author's ability to sell that work for publication in a magazine, journal, novel form, etc?

Will publishers and possibly editors as well consider publication to the internet (which has generated no profit but has allowed prior public access to the work) to be a negative factor in considering that same work for publication, and will posting to the internet interfere with First Serial Right offerings by the author? And does this general attitude in the publishing industry apply both to British/European markets and to markets within the United States (if you know)? Does publication to the internet adversely affect considerations as to whether an agent will represent your work, and as an agent do you prefer your clients to refrain from internet postings, encourage it, or consider it basically a non-factor concerning representation and/or publishing success?

I am a writer of non-fiction works primarily but have recently decided to attempt sales of my fictional works for the first time and am soliciting advice regarding publishing and editorial standards concerning fictional works. So I appreciate your experience, advice, and insight in these matters.

Thank you sincerely for your advice in these matters and I look forward to your reply(s).

Jack.
    Giovanna Clairval

Giovanna Clairval New Member

Posting your work on the Internet could damage your chances of seeing it published, because “publishing” means “to make something public”.

A novel online is published, if only virtually...

I’m talking about an entire novel or short story. This doesn’t concern a few excerpts or the beginning.
    John Jarrold

John Jarrold New Member

Just to let everyone know I'm back - apologies for the long delay after my move to Lincoln. Editing and agency work go on apace! I'll be commenting through this week.

Cheers!
    Coolhand

Coolhand Spiff's Stunt Double

Yaaay! The Jarrold-Meister is back in da house!

Hope the move went well, John.:D
    John Jarrold

John Jarrold New Member

Thanks! Yes, it did - but moving from Hastings (after seventeen years) to Lincoln proved to have a longer acclimatisation process than moving between flats in Hastings!

Fascinating city. Good pubs and restaurants, and much historical stuff (that's a technical term) to explore..
    Giovanna Clairval

Giovanna Clairval New Member

Hi, John, and welcome back.

Glad to hear that everything is well.

My books, and most of my stuff, are still unpacked, and I moved on August, so I do understand...

There are great restaurants in my new Parisian quarter as well.

I’ve seen good news on your blog. Congratulations.