Origional Star Wars on dvd

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Traveller, May 4, 2006.

Traveller

Traveller To the moon and stars

Released on September 12 this year the origional Star Wars Trilogy is being released on dvd

This is from Sci Fi Wire

So all you purists out there will you be purchasing this set too?
    TK-421

TK-421 I Do Not Sow

Will I spend another $70 on my favourite movies of all time? Probably not as I am happy with the special edition I've got. They could of at least released the THX versions instead of the original ones with the bad light gray box around the tie fighters against the black of space. But I'm sure the purists will disagree. Fox obviously knows there are enough people out there who will spend the money to make it worth their while. Cha-ching$$$
    ScottSF

ScottSF ScottSF

naaaah, I prefer the cleaned up versions better. I would like to hear the original Ewok song again though. "Yub yub!"
    Brian Turner

Brian Turner Brian G. Turner Staff Member

Funny - I saw a set in Tescos this week which was a full set of the "Classic films" for £32 with one of the original Star Wars posters on the front. Wasn't sure if it was the original versions remastered, or simply different packaging on the special editions. If it's the originals, I'll probably buy.
    Culhwch

Culhwch Not actually a dinosaur. Staff Member

Well, seeing as how I never even considered buying the reworked trilogy on DVD, yes, I'll be getting these ones. Thank god some greedy bastard realised they could further cash in on these films. I always knew our capitalist society would finally prove worthwhile...
    steve12553

steve12553 The Enigma of Steel

I'm in a quandry. I know I'll never again enjoy the magic that I saw in the theater in 1977 when I same "Star Wars" (there was no "A New Hope" in the opening credits) with my two year old son. (He slept through the second half of the movie.) I had never seen anything like that before. The theater we saw it in was state of the art at the time. (They recently tore it down) I'll have to get something at some point because my ten minute black and white excerpt on Super 8 probably doesn't play any more.
    Culhwch

Culhwch Not actually a dinosaur. Staff Member

I can't claim to having seen the original cut in theatres, being minus three years old at the time, but I have VHS editions from the early nineties, and I am sure the subtitle 'A New Hope' is there. I thought it always had been, from the start...?
    ScottSF

ScottSF ScottSF

Originally the execs thought the audience would be confused by seeing "Episode 4" in the beginning of the movie. I think George added it while it was still in theaters. I'm pretty sure I got that from the additional material that came with the dvd trilogy.
    pokernut951

pokernut951 New Member

I thought this was some great news. I didn't buy the sepcial editions because I really didn't like what I saw in the theatre. I hoped for a long time that this would happen.
    Sharkey

Sharkey New Member

I really want cleaned up versions on DVD, but I don't want all of the crappy changes Lucas made on the DVD set. Hmmmm...What to do...?
    kyektulu

kyektulu White Wolf

I know Marcus will be having me buy them, I dont mind at all.... ;)
    carrie221

carrie221 Darkness is my friend :)

I will buy them just because I want to see them in their orginal format on DVD, the only copies of the orginals that I know of are in tape format. I only have a DVD player... besides I have never really seen the orginal undoctored versions as the first time I saw Starwars it was in the theater with the 20th anniversery showings.