What is the hardest game you ever played?

Dawn of war AI isn't too bright and will often leave alone nodes if you have no defenses at it. You can generally overpower the enemy AI if you build a good army.

I was shocked at how easily I beat Dawn of War it usually takes me ages to get through these sort of games. I beat it on all three dificulties waiting for it to drop the other shoe and I was a bit disapointed. Although Winter Assualt was quite a bit harder I've only completed the "good" campaign so far but it's waiting patiently for me no doubt.

I have a real dificulty with Age of empires II random missions I'm sure that AI cheats.

Monoploy Rules big time!

I've yet to beat the soul arena missions in Soul Calibur 3 on hard difficulty without using Nightmare (which is to say, without cheating). Raphael keeps wiping the floor with anyone who doesn't have a sword the size of the level. And I play with Setsuka.

Also, I've never gotten over my grudge against the Jumper Series. Those games had some of the hardest levels ever made, I swear. I must've spent a whole week worth of hours on that game. I did actually finish them though. For those of you who haven't played them, you can download them for free here. They are great fun, although very frustrating.

I feel I should mention God of War's unlockable "Challenge of the Gods", also. A relatively short challenge that must've taken me 12 hours to beat. I was so angry during, and so happy after.

And I'm gonna generally agree with the Thief-hatery here. That game was hardcore.

Mega Man 2 on the hard difficulty level was actually dead hard. I don't think I managed to beat it ever, without exploiting any glitches.

Super Mario Kart for the Super Nintendo also had some tracks I just couldn't handle. Being the sore loser I am, I gave up on the Special Cup, 150 cc, after being pushed into the water one too many times by those bloody beavers (or whatever they were, hard to tell, being pixel art and all). Even if you did get past them, you had to handle an ice track which contained more holes into the water, than actual ice.

Final Fantasy X also had some insane challenges in the end, if you ever got to fight in the arena.

By far, the most difficult game I've come across (if played on the correct difficulty setting) is Devil May Cry 3 (or the SE).

I found the sims quite difficult to win... because you can't. Oh, and staying awake while playing it is a problem too. In fact, just build a family, kill it, and say you've won. Don't buy the game, just play it at a friend's house.

I would have to say that the hardest game I've ever played, in terms of tough AI, would be Fritz 8. That program is truly a monster.

In terms of gaming, the hardest game I've ever played was a game called Galactic Civilizations 2: Dread Lords and Dark Avatar. It uses multi-threaded AI, and its programmed to at least show some sign of intelligence, basing it's strategies on those of hardcore gamers.

Nethack.

I have never known a game whith so many different ways of meeting your maker.

Food poisoning, over praying, not praying enough, starvation, being killed by your own pet, drinking from a well, drinking a strange potion reading a strange spell. These are but a few of the ways I have met my end since I began playing.

And yet oddly, I keep going back to it.

Pretty much anygame I've ever played, I'm so rubbish at them aaargh.

The hardest game I've ever played award, even after all these years, goes to Ghosts & Goblins and its sequel, Super Ghouls & Ghosts. I hate those games so much, they're borderline impossible. :/

One hit knocks your armor off, the second hit kills you. Oh, and I should also mention that it's incredibly easy to get hit, especially in the last few levels. On SG&G in particular, you need a specific weapon to beat the last boss, and to get it, you must be fully armored (you get several armor "upgrades" that don't offer you any defense, only slightly more offensive abilities) before it will drop. The fun part after this is making it all the way to the last area without losing the weapon. How do you lose it? Try getting knocked back by an enemy into another random weapon that drops. You'll want to break something in half...

To this day, I've never finished either game. Maybe I should take a crack at them, only this time, I'll abuse the savestate feature in emulators. That might be the only way.

I amend my former statement. The hardest game I've ever played is Guitar Hero II. Having been a guitarist for the last 20 years, and having played some of the same songs contained within the game, I thought I'd excel at it, which is simply not the case. Mastering any song on expert can take oodles of time, mastering several songs is likely to take the same amount of time as playing the entire SE library; simply daunting.

The hardest game I ever played was Knightmare by activision on the Amiga 200plus. I use to play while in secondary school and always got stuck on the last quest (which was for the crown) I recently took it out my garage and played it last year with a walk through from the internet and believe it or not I still could not complete it !

I had Wizardry on the C64 and from memory the game wasnt that hard but there was one part that I could just never pass. I must have restarted the game dozens of times but I never figured out the answer to what ever riddle it was :( , no chance of walkthroughs back then either.

Hmm, I may even check out an emulator and finally figure it out

Edit: This was not the Sir-Tech Software game that spawned heaps of sequels but a C64 game by The Edge (also known as Spell of Destruction).

Hardest game for me was also my first Myst. Some parts of it were easy enough but others I had to call in for help.. It took awhile but I got there, never played any of its sequels though.

My hardest game was Golden Sun for GBA. After 3 years of playing it, I still couldn't get past the first (real) challenge! I even tried looking for cheats, but even that didn't help me at all....

LOL, this is easy for me. Ninja Gaiden Black. This game was hard. I beat it on normal and made it to level 3 on hard, which is around when is stopped playing. I shudder to think what it was like on very hard and master ninja difficulty. This is the only game that's ever actually made me throw my controller down in frustration, but it was fun!

yes sir i agree ng:black was ******* hard, also i had a bit of trouble in shadow of the colosus

(wow filters)

My hardest game was Golden Sun for GBA. After 3 years of playing it, I still couldn't get past the first (real) challenge! I even tried looking for cheats, but even that didn't help me at all....
I love that game - you just need to wander around levelling up for a bit normally :)

With Golden Sun you have to get past the fact that it's a portable title; in actuality it's as robust and challenging as a full-fledges console RPG. People often play a portable game as if it were dumbed down, and in some cases that's true, but this isn't the case with the Golden Sun series. You need to grind in very much the same way you do in a Final Fantasy, Star Ocean or Dragon Quest title.

I heard rumours of a third installment - dunno which console though. Any idea if that's true?