First chapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
I'm focusing on my SF, and restructuring the beginning.

Currently this scene looks like a candidate for the opening of chapter 1, so I'll post the first half of this scene, and see if anyone has any problems or criticisms of it - which you are very welcome to state.

If you need a context for this piece, there's an extremely short prologue proceeds this, posted here:
http://www.chronicles-network.com/forum/8749-opening.html

Nemestor looked down with nervous bemusement as Ariola brushed her hands down his immaculate white bridge uniform, with its gold markings and embossed seahorse insignia, the bright colours contrasting with his deep dark skin. "Alright, stop fussing!" he smiled.

He irrationally feared for a moment that her sharp nails would snag and scratch through the uniform to the fluid-filled naval vest beneath, where his personal nanonet monitored his functions and communicated biometric data to the ship’s living brain. It was built to withstand concussion shocks and shrapnel in the event of a Calladine attack. Nemestor wasn’t sure it would withstand over-grooming from his excited wife.

Nemestor was nervous. How could he not be? He was barely a universal month out from his passing out parade at Sarine Naval Academy, and already his first tour was on the Battle Carrier Adransis, flagship for the Sarine Navy.

God, don't let me screw up on my first day, he thought to himself. This is a privileged position, and we've got good quarters. Marital quarters were tiny by civilian standards, but a luxury in the navy. And Ariola landed a post on the research deck, so we can all stay together. I've got one of the best starts to a military career any officer could wish for.

Most people went into positions upon frigates, maybe even reached a peripheral post on a destroyer. It was considered a privilege to make it as far as a battlecruiser. The really lucky ones started on a battleship. To work on a flagship was normally an incredibly rare exception. The discovery of a Cabal of Calladine sympathisers and informers had led to the removal of a swathe of officers and crew in a recent Delation. And Nemestor had managed to succeed into one of the resultant vacancies.

Ariola stepped back and admired her husband. "When you get home I'm just going to have to eat you all up," she said.

Nemestor smiled playfully. "Remember I need this uniform clean for tomorrow! I don't want Captain Ellis throwing me into the brig for being a disgrace to the ranks!"

"Oh, you can disgrace yourself with me any time you want! But maybe this evening's best, honey?" Ariola grinned at him.

He kissed her quickly on the lips. "I've got to go now," he said, touching his buttons again, reminding himself they were still present and correct.

Ariola nodded to herself, then turned aside. "Tamberlin! Tamberlin! Your father's leaving! Don't forget to give him a kiss goodbye!"

Their three-year old son came running out from his bunk room, little bigger than a cupboard, and across the small living space they lounged and ate in. Tamberlin reached his arms reaching out, a huge smile covering his face.

Nemestor watched with deep affection as his son approached. As part of his officer training he had taken various science study units. Ariola had been on all three biology courses he had attended. She was already a qualified technician in xenobiology, but her career path had taken her into military research. Nemestor had begun distracting his gaze from study and across the majority of female faces in those lectures, but had always found it resting on Ariola. As soon as she noticed, she had always smiled back. The Ministry of Love had approved their genetic union. A year later they had selected a birthing gallery and had their gametes mated in an amnion surrogate. Nemestor had been proud to attend the opening, when they disconnected the feeding chords and pulled his son through the nurturing gel and into the world, to carry the name of Tamberlin. They held his third birthday party within days of arriving in their new quarters on the Adransis. Life was working out better than great.

Nemestor lifted Tamberlin in his arms and held him in an embrace. Then Nemestor frowned down. "Hey, Tam!" he suddenly scowled. "What's that you've just gotten on my nice clean new uniform?"

Tamberlin's smile turned to puzzlement. "Daddy?"

"Well, what's this I see here?" Nemestor declared in a deep low voice, before breaking into a high-pitched declaration, "Tickles!"

Tamberlin wriggled and squirmed with a yell and a shout as his father tickled him with fingers under his arms.

Ariola placed her hands to her hips. "My lover is going to be late if he keeps on procrastinating."

Nemestor nodded and lowered Tam to the floor, stroking his head. "I've got go, now, son. Will you look after mommy for me?"

Tamberlin held on. "Kiss!" he said, pouting forward to peck his daddy's lips, before stepping back with his mother, and attempting a salute to his little chest.

Nemestor winked to the boy, then to Ariola. "You make sure you wait up for me."

Ariola nodded. "You just make sure you don't tire yourself out! I want you awake tonight. And that's an order, ensign!"

Nemestor grinned, then held his hand out in a gentle wave as he then turned. The aperture opened automatically for him, and with a final wave he stepped out into a narrow corridor lined with photochromic panels, the portal closing after his exit.

And then he was alone, away from the attention of his family, set ready to walk with a sense of purpose he had never felt before.

Nemestor paused, reflecting on the moment, as if trying to watch himself from different perspectives. Then he blew his cheeks out in a heavy sigh. It was hard to realise just how far this farmer's boy had come. Raised at Charias Four on the Arwaleen Farming Project, at the outskirts of the Eastern Sarine Shelf, Nemestor had seen what true hardship really was. Despite the lush vegetation and fertile soil, raising crops under the Imperium's strict hundred-year self-sufficiency plan had been a daily toil of physical labour and sweat that even the youngest children shared in. Achieving remarkable scores in his first education units, a military inspector had noticed the young boy and offered him a future away from subsistence-level frontier living, to begin training in an officer-class educational establishment. It was a high honour among Tertiaries to be granted such a special privilege, and his parents gave full approval. Their tears of joy and sorrow at his leaving, for so bright a possible future, was the most powerful memory from his boyhood, and one he still remembered with mixed emotions.

And now, here he was, more than two decades later, walking the corridors of the flagship of the Sarine Navy, about to begin his first shift on his first tour of duty, as a Commissioned Officer on the bridge of the pride of the fleet.

This is it. This is where I make a future for my family. This is where we can start to make our dreams come true. If all goes well I could even be a starship captain by the time Tam hits late teens. But now to keep attention firmly focussed. I have a high privilege to earn.

Nemestor brushed a hand carefully across his uniform, and then walked steadily on.

Brian

I like the dialogue and the interaction but the paragraphs of 'info dump' in between detract from the story rather than add to it. I do exactly the same thing and I am struggling in a story of my own to correct it. One way I have tried is to introduce extra, incidental, characters who can provide more opportunities for dialogue.

Hi Brian,

Looks great. Personally I didn't think the info dumps were distracting; they seem to be about the right size with just enough relevant info.

Here are some other thoughts I had though...

Nemestor looked down with nervous bemusement as Ariola brushed her hands down his immaculate white bridge uniform, with its gold markings and embossed seahorse insignia, the bright colours contrasting with his deep dark skin.
This opening sentence felt way too long, as though somebody had taken a huge breath before starting their story and then blurting it out in one nervous outpouring.:)
All it needs is to be split into two and it'll look fine.

In a later paragraph, I had to think a bit to work out exactly what you were saying about Nemestor's position in the navy. I think it's because of the use of 5 different ship types:
Frigates,Destroyer,Battlecruiser,Battleship,Flagship
I found it a bit too much at first, but a re-read sorted that out. All the same, it might be worth cutting one or two out.

Tamberlin reached his arms reaching out, a huge smile covering his face.

Too much reach. I think you just need to remove "reaching" from the sentence.
Nemestor watched with deep affection as his son approached.
This could be one of those "show don't tell" things. How about seeing the emotion in his expression rather than just saying he had deep affection?
"Hey, Tam!" he suddenly scowled.

May be better without "suddenly". Because of the actions here, we wouldn't expect this to be a slow reaction anyway.
Nemestor grinned, then held his hand out in a gentle wave as he then turned.
One of those can go.

This piece is a good start to the story though. I already feel emotionally attached to Nemestor and feel a sense of pride for him. I want him to do well and feel keen to know how he will react in a crisis situation - so this is a good hook for then next part.

Made me think of Anne Mcaffrey, then again I didn't read that much scifi anyway. It's a great beginning, yet it is no more than that. I can't imagine myself reading more than three times as much as I've written now. You'll surely need some action and with action you'll style will have to change.

With this for me you've surely passed the 'introduction test' up to the main part:p .

This is going to be a very "in my opinion" critique.
Personally, I had no problem with the ship categories (if not for putting the flag on a battle carrier, rather than on one of the smaller but tougher battleships), but then, I've chewed my way through Weber's Honorverse, and a fair quantity of wet navy historical and recent warfare too. Some of the futuristic details; the amount of time spent in the birthing details of their son, or the agriculture as examples. seem to be over accentuated for the story they're a part of.
Oh, the uniforms - with buttons, in a spaceship (at least I asume it's a spaceship. I suppose it could be a futuristic wet navy) Totally stupid, and as such, totally militarily likely - I foresee an EVA suit with epaulettes, so the space faring officer has somewhere to stick his beret while wearing his helmet, and probably a belt for the sword.

To work on a flagship was normally an incredibly rare exception. The discovery of a Cabal of Calladine sympathisers and informers had led to the removal of a swathe of officers and crew in a recent Delation. And Nemestor had managed to succeed into one of the resultant vacancies.
If it's "incredibly rare" we don't need the "normally" And I suppose using ""Delatation", immediately comprehensible from context, gives an idea of an established military vocabulary, that we just don't happen to share, Still I maintain "succeed to" a position, not "into"

Nemestor had begun distracting his gaze from study and across the majority of female faces in those lectures, but had always found it resting on Ariola
"To distract" is not something one can do with one's own gaze.
Nemestor had seen what true hardship really was.
Doesn't need the "true" and the "really"

I'm not sure about the "universal month" Oh, as the standard month was based (badly) around the rotation of a satelite around one particular primary, it'd be crazy to use variable length periods when that pimary is left behind, but "universal" (or even "standard") everytime you specify a time interval? (oh, I'll only be gone a quarter of a cosmic hour? Ten galactic minutes?)

Achieving remarkable scores in his first education units, a military inspector had noticed the young boy and offered him a future away from subsistence-level frontier living
This actually says that the officer had managed those results
I have a high privilege to earn.
I consider a "privilege" as an unearned benefit(though not nescessarily unmerited)

Sentence structure feels a little stiff and nervous at times (as probably does your ensign) This is obviously a peacetime navy (the seniority, the option to choose the best) although this might, of course, not survive the length of the story. Look forward to finding out.

Thanks for the comments, very much appreciated - and thank you for reading so far.

I think it's fair to say I'm more aware of rough edges I should seek to smooth out. :)

I couldn't stop laughing at the fact that the girl's name is Ariola.

I promise I'm going to read it and add something more constructive, but for now I had to to say that.

(sigh) Yep, I know what he's talking about...I had a problem with her name too.

Areola - the area surrounding a nipple.

BTW, Brian. Outstanding stuff, I particularly liked the character development. (Something that comes hard for me.) It clicks right along and looks very nice. I really felt I understood Nemestor, and I liked him right away.

I'm guessing this will be a "book" length, since you haven't introduced any conflict yet. Right?

I can't wait for the rest!:D

I don't think I was even aware of the word "Areola". But I am now. :)

The point about the info dumps is a good one as well - though I felt they were relevant, I could probably do better by exploring these more thoroughly in one or more small scenes afterwards.

He irrationally feared for a moment that her sharp nails would snag and scratch through the uniform to the fluid-filled naval vest beneath, where his personal nanonet monitored his functions and communicated biometric data to the ship’s living brain. It was built to withstand concussion shocks and shrapnel in the event of a Calladine attack. Nemestor wasn’t sure it would withstand over-grooming from his excited wife.

If the nanonet can withstand shrapnel then I would expect it to withstand fingernails since they both have an ability to cut. It seams a little odd that it can be harmed by something relatively gentle while surviving something explosive enough to cause shrapnel.

Most people went into positions upon frigates, maybe even reached a peripheral post on a destroyer. It was considered a privilege to make it as far as a battlecruiser. The really lucky ones started on a battleship. To work on a flagship was normally an incredibly rare exception.

While I don’t mind the numerous classes of ships mentioned throughout the excerpt this one paragraph has quite a few in it and are hard to keep track of which is which. It would be better to mention less ship types in one paragraph and space them out a bit more through the story.

I also agree with the previous opinions that the paragraphs about his son’s birth and his past on the farming community are distracting from the flow of the story. They should be broken up and their information inserted into the story in less of a clump. Although I found the idea of genetic selection for their son and that he was grown in a vat instead of being born in the usual manner very fascinating and an interesting view of how society may differ in the future. So I suggest not discarding the information from those paragraphs but putting them back into the story in a different manner.

I somewhat agree and disagree with chrispenycate about the uniforms, in a formal setting a fancy uniform full of detail would be acceptable, but for regular day to day duties a uniform with less detail would be more suitable. It would be helpful if you specified if this was the formal meeting for launching the ship, in that case they would be in full regalia. Or if it was the first day of regular duties, which he would have a less stunning uniform.

I do like how you have subtlety dropped in information about the Calladines, it doesn’t distract at all from the flow of the story, and it hints at future action and conflict that may arise in the story, good work on that.

Hi Brian

I've not been critiquing for a while so sorry about the lack of comments. Now I've got round to it, everyone has said everything I was going to say.

I enjoyed it and got a really good sense of something about to begin - you know when you start at holiday or a journy and there's that sense anticipation. I really caught that from Nemestor. I'm already imagining all sorts of futures for him.

Apart from that, agree with Paradox on long first line and also the info dump issue - ie show don't tell or at least intersperse with action.

Would love to read more:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back