Film hauls!

I was just curious about your impressions. I've not been terribly impressed by Carpenter in a while, but thought this one was quite good. Nice, tight, and with some interesting curves here and there. Gordon's film has his trademark explicitness, but I thought it was a good updating of the Lovecraft film, overall. I do think that Gordon has a genuine respect and admiration for HPL's work, and it comes through in much of what he does ... he doesn't always do literal adaptations, by any means, but I've grown quite fond of his work, and think it worth following.

But you're one of the few I've run into who has seen these, so, as I said, I was more just interested in your impressions of them.:)

I was just curious about your impressions. I've not been terribly impressed by Carpenter in a while, but thought this one was quite good. Nice, tight, and with some interesting curves here and there. Gordon's film has his trademark explicitness, but I thought it was a good updating of the Lovecraft film, overall. I do think that Gordon has a genuine respect and admiration for HPL's work, and it comes through in much of what he does ... he doesn't always do literal adaptations, by any means, but I've grown quite fond of his work, and think it worth following.

But you're one of the few I've run into who has seen these, so, as I said, I was more just interested in your impressions of them.:)

Carpenters was good and I've always enjoyed his films, interesting the way that although it was a horror film it didn't feel horrific in the way that others have, more of a suspense film. The curves that where thrown by Carpenter just made me want to sit and watch it all without interuption (which is something i'm going to have to do again as I've only seen it once so far).

As for the Gordon film this is the first I've seen by him and I have to confess to never reading any Lovecraft (yet). Enjoyable and not to predictable. Going to have to see if I can lay my hands on more films by him.

Is there any other films by Gordon that you would recomend?

I think most people think Re-animator (the original, not the sequels) when they hear Stuart Gordon's name. Certainly it was his most popular, and made one heck of a splash. Having seen it recently again, in the latest edition, nicely restored, I must say that it still holds up quite well ... but, being based on stories that Lovecraft himself repudiated (having written them for, as he put it, a "vile rag" early in his career), it is done extremely tongue-in-cheek. Nonetheless, I'd say it's quite a good film.

And though Dagon is considerably more controversial with Lovecraftians, I'd highly recommend it. First time I saw it, though, I didn't care for it much, I must admit. It's one of those films that, the more you watch it, the more you realize it really is crafted beautifully, with considerable care and respect for the original story. Even where they deviated from it, the changes make sense, and were done in the spirit of HPL (except, of course, for the sexual element, which is something you're just not going to come across in Lovecraft). This is one that grows on you, so don't expect to be swept away first time.

From Beyond... mixed bag, though I understand Gordon is supposed to be putting out a version which replaces all the things he wanted to include but was forced at the time to take out. So I'd wait for the director's cut on that one.

There are a few of his films I've not seen, but I'd recommend the two above. Castle Freak, however ... that one simply never jelled, and is unfortunately quite tedious. Pity, as it had potential.

Recent acquisitions;
The Hills Have Eyes (remake) (found it cheap)
Tokyo Drift (also found cheap)
Sahara (Replacement)
Decent
Covenant

The only one that I would recommend would be Sahara (I also have the one with H. Bogart (which is also good) but this is the one from a couple of years ago).
Have not yet found Pan's Labyrinth (haven't looked real hard)

Enjoy!

Finally! After 20+ years of abortive attempts, I got my hands on a copy of that PBS production of The Scarlet Letter (WGBH Boston, 1979)... with Meg Foster as Hester Prynne, John Heard as the Rev. Dimmesdale, and Kevin Conway as Roger Chillingworth. First time I've been able to see the thing in nearly that long... and oh, it does hold up! Beautiful! The ONLY time I've ever seen Hawthorne given justice in a dramatic presentation. Atmospheric, wonderfully acted, with all the attention to the allegorical significance as well as the surface story; that sense of eeriness that's such a strong thread through most of Hawthorne's work... and Meg Foster was an absolutely perfect choice for Hester; her performance is extremely memorable, and with those haunting eyes of hers, it's as if she sees into the other world, and you with her....

Anyone who hasn't seen this, I highly recommend it. The 4-episode (60 mins. each) format gives the production room to breathe and capture so many things a theatrical film simply couldn't; and despite it being a public television production with very limited budget, for my money it's the best adaptation of Hawthorne so far, and does him proud indeed....

"The Scarlet Letter" (1979) (mini)