Football (Soccer to those across the pond)

Discussion in 'Sport' started by Adasunshine, Apr 15, 2006.

Adasunshine

Adasunshine Everything in Moderation

So, I've noticed that there are hardly any threads about sport, our beloved football especially so and what with the World Cup coming up I thought I'd start one.....

I was born into a Tottenham Hotspur family (my dad's side) and so have supported those since I could breathe, you cut me I bleed blue and white blah blah blah...

My brother on the other hand supports Arsenal (am sure it was just pure rebellion) and my mum's side of the family are all West Ham.

However, my partner is an avid Southampton fan (previous season ticket holder - is rebelling against Lowe right now though), therefore, my sons are too (they may only be 3 and 1 but they know the red and white stripes of The Saints) and I've actually been to see Saints play more than Spurs (which isn't hard as I've never been to see them) so I suppose I can be classed as a dual-team-supporter though my loyalties lie with Spurs.

My partner also has various teams overseas (Parma in Italy etc) and his Scottish team is Celtic! :D

My national team is Wales (first and foremost) but seeing as they're rubbish, I shall be supporting England in this year's World Cup. :p

So, what's your team (both local, overseas and national)? Are you a real supporter (do you go to watch them) or are you a dedicated couch-supporter? Are there any turncoats in your family? Do you have a favourite player? etc etc

xx
    cornelius

cornelius former axe demon

my team is FC brugge, Belgian team so therefore almoust unknow to other countries... they haven't been playing all to good lately, since the trainer and coach had quarrels and refused to set up the best players in the team. they are now third, and I hope they'll stay third to get european soccer...
    YOSSARIAN

YOSSARIAN Enjoy the Era Vulgaris

I don't follow soccer in America mainly because the American sports generally gives little coverage to soccer. Americans seem to believe soccer is a sport for little kids and adults that can't play "real" sports. I do watch a lot of World Cup soccer when it comes around. I have to admit soccer is low on my list of sports I enjoy-but I'd rather watch 10 hours of non-stop Mexican "futbol" (even if it's broadcast in another language) than watch 10 seconds of hockey.
    Netted

Netted holy :)

Man City all the way.

Boo sucks top you, Man U fans. just cause your team are any good, doesnt make you better than us.

For thouse who dont know, No one from Manchester supports Man U. (my family are from between there + Warrington, a little town called Irlam, thopugh me moved before i can remember, we still support City. Though i prefer the rugby personally
    Rosemary

Rosemary The Wicked Sword Maiden

On the opposite side of that pond, we Aussies are really getting into the season of our Aussie Rules FOOTY...:D

My teams (one from Western Australia, the other from Victoria) are doing well so far.. although it is a long time till the end of the season and anything could happen. So 'Come on The Bombers' , show those Magpies how to play ;)
    Culhwch

Culhwch Not actually a dinosaur. Staff Member

I used to follow the EPL pretty closely when SBS, a TV station here, broadcast a highlights show every Monday. But since they lost the rights, I've sort of lost touch. My team was always Newcastle United, and I still follow their progress.

On a national level, I am a Socceroos fan all the way...
    Rane Longfox

Rane Longfox Red Rane

Oh my god! I'm not alone... I thought I was the only Spur in Salisbury. Awesomeness. Think we'll make 4th place this year? Nervous about that Easter Monday game with Man U, bet the clincher will be the ARSEnal game, I think... We can afford one more loss than them, iirc, so we need to get at least two points out of those two matches.

Been catching a couple of games out here, theres a decent pub right opposite the main train station in Melbourne that shows Premiership games occasionally, so I saw our game against Man City. But apart from that I've just been relying on the BBC website to keep up with stuff - on aussie TV they mostly concentrate on Middlesborough because of Swarchzer and Viduka, with an occasional mention of Liverpool or Everton. Damn them.

Getting quiute into the AFL too - go the Bombers:cool: :cool: Couldn't get tickets to the Anzac day game against Collingwood, but I'm going to the Hawthorn game at the MCG at the Sunday after that. Should be good, though Hawthorn thrashed the Cats the other day, so I hope thats only a minor rise in form, and they don't carry on for too long!
    nixie

nixie pixie druid Staff Member

Big footie fan, Glasgow Celtic for me.If I have to choose an English team it would be Liverpool.Alyhough my son's an Arsenal fan.I shall watch the world cup with netural eyes this yrear, probably either support Brazil or choose one of the underdogs.
    alex22

alex22 Just call me Lucky

Now that Australia is in the world cup i'll at least be able to cheer for a team and really mean it.
    Marky Lazer

Marky Lazer New Member

Groningen FC is my team, I have a season ticket for as long as I can remember. But staying for half a year in Wolverhampton, the Wolves are dear to me as well, though they are rubbish.
    jackokent

jackokent Jack of all trades

I don't think I've made any secret of being a Portsmouth fan. Don't see them live often enough though as I don't live any where near Portsmouth any more. Saw them last Saturday against Blackburn.

Play up Pompey!
    weaveworld

weaveworld ~Behold my sparklies!~

My team is Celtic Football Club, have been for as long as I can remember.

I am a bit disappointed that Scotland did not make it but not surprised. Plus I am that Ireland aren't in either, but I do enjoy a good game of football.:):p:)
    Marky Lazer

Marky Lazer New Member

My team secured a place in the UEFA cup for next season, and we still have a chance to be in the Champions league!
    Rosemary

Oh no...I am sorry you couldn't get to the Anzac Day Game. Usually the best in the season, especially if the Bomber wins...You've picked my team Cal :D
    Of course we know who barracks for Collingwood! Our dear friend Precioussss..;)
    Anyway, I do hope you enjoy the game at The G....
    sanityassassin

sanityassassin he's the madcap pusher

I've always made it very clear who my team are just in case no one noticed here is a clue...

C'mon the hoops Scottish league champions 2005/06

Been a celtic fan all my life although when I was younger I used to go and see Greenock Morton with my brother because they were closer to home. Other teams I like are West Ham(england) and Barcelona(spain), as for the world cup I don't know who I'll be supporting but it won't be England as the commentators already have England winning the world cup and they really annoy me

Attached Files:

Rosemary

What clue would that be SA ? :rolleyes:
    nixie

nixie pixie druid Staff Member

Still not sure about Strachan though.... I'll withhold judgment on him till I see how we perform in Europe nest season

Try living in England its ten times worse:(
    sanityassassin

sanityassassin he's the madcap pusher

He managed us to the league title by a country mile after a terrible start to the season the first game in charge of a team should not be a european fixture wasn't too sure of his signings but they have all performed well all he needs is the money to strengthen the squad and I hope Nakamura doesn't leave
    iratebeaver

iratebeaver i see said the blind man

SOCCER! U.S Women's (I'm not a feminist, just an average guy watching soccer)
    I can't say much for the U.S guys but as for MLS i go for Galaxy
    Rane Longfox

Rane Longfox Red Rane

I've never managed to sustain a decent interest in Scottish football, due to the lack of proper competition, as well as the lack of coverage in England.