The Hobbit

danny

ALL OF A SUDDEN, I DIE!
The Hobbit was and still is a very good book. It was great with Smaug the dragon and all. An excellent read!

I loved this book as a child and as an adult i still do! My most favourite part is when Bilbo is inside the lair and needs light, but ends up screaming and stamping his foot as the dwarves are still scared of the dragon. I still smile when i think of this part even as i write this reply.

An excellent book and even better sequels (if a tad too long)

OK, so I read LOTR first (I was only ten and the old man left it lying), but I read "The Hobbit," a bit later and loved it. BTW, it really teed the Old Man off as it was a library book and I made it overdue, but he forgave me when my brothers ad I bought him a volume each for Christmas

I've read LotR and the Simarellion but I've not read the Hobbit yet. In fact I bought it last week and will read it once I've read the four books I got out of the library. So, I'll probabbly be avoiding this thread for a little while.
Good book is it? :rolleyes: :D

My one caution about The Hobbit to anyone coming to it as an adult is that it really was written down to children in its tone. This can be seen as Bilbo's own approach, as opposed to the more serious approach Frodo would take when doing his work on "The Downfall of the Lord of the Rings and the Return of the King", if one likes, and that may make it a little easier to take. I personally have great affection for the book, but I've known many to whom this authorial tone was more than a bit off-putting. I'd say to forgive the tone and let the story take over; and if you can do this, there are not onloy several scenes, but some excellent writing (some surprisingly dark) here and there through the book. Enjoy!

danny said:
The Hobbit was and still is a very good book. It was great with Smaug the dragon and all. An excellent read!
If there is such a thing as an afterlife,then that is the book I would take with me.I wouldn't bother with the bible,there would be plenty of them there already.

danny said:
I just hope that the filmakers do a film of "The Hobbit"

Latest is looking optimistic for The Hobbit to be filmed.

Current delays due primarily to legal issues b/w the owner of The Hobbit movie distribution rights MGM and Sony.

I love The Hobbit! I think Bilbo's adventures are far more entertaining than Frodo's. His "Drat this dwarvish racket!" outburst became a favorite expression of mine for many years.

I think there are plans to turn this into a movie.

I read the Hobbit first, and was overwhelemed with the book - found it thoroughly enjoyable. Funnily enough, I never really felt particularly attached to Lord of the Rings itself.

I've not read the book but when I was younger I had the story tape of it narrated by Kennith Williams(I think) He did the voice in wind in the willows when that was out.I still might have the tape somewhere.

I read the Hobbit before The Lord of the Rings and yes, the contrast is quite marked. For me that really works. The quest in the Hobbit with the Dragon and thieves was so much more light-hearted. They had fun along the way and although there was war and death it was much lighter than Lord of The Rings. The lightness of The Hobbit makes the story of the One Ring so much darker. You go from this relatively fun journey into one where the fate of the world hangs in balance and you see a whole new side to dwarves, hobbits and Gandalf as well.

I guess this is the same reason I like the long chapters at the beginning of the Fellowship of The Ring where the Shire and life in it is described. It makes what comes after so much more terrible.

I love the Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings pretty much equally.

I read The Hobbit after The Lord of the Rings, and the overall tone didn't distract me, but the part when the goblins sing as they march their captives into the mountain was a bit off-putting. I never thought of them as a very musical bunch.

Then again, if they were secure in their mountain fortress, and not marching to war under the Dark Lord, I suppose they'd have time and inclination to develop arts and culture, such as they might be. Hadn't thought of that before… Okay, I'll read it again.

i read the hobit ages ago
and dint ever read the LOTR
because it was too long, and then i watched the films and decided not to read the books, incase they spoilt it for me

i read the two towers though after watching the felowship

GOLLUM said:
Latest is looking optimistic for The Hobbit to be filmed.

Current delays due primarily to legal issues b/w the owner of The Hobbit movie distribution rights MGM and Sony.

Any more information on this? Am quite curious to see how it would be after having seen the Lord of the Rings Movies. Have you got a link with information?

I hope whoever picked Elijah Wood for Frodo, and Agent Smith for Elrond isn't used to cast the Hobbit. Elijah Wood as a whiny, teary-eyed Frodo annoyed me to no end. I swear, Peter Jackson's stage direction for every scene with Elijah Wood was, "Okay! Slowly turn into the camera and cry!" A stage direction he apparently repeated over and over in King Kong with Naomi Watts' character - another movie I abhorred.

Don't get me wrong, I thought the rest of the casting was near-perfect, though the directing for Gimli had me almost in tears. In the books, Gimli was a noble and sure-footed dwarf whose axe-wielding prestige was unparalleled. In the movie, he was a bumbling idiot who couldn't cut down a shrub with his axe.

Warhaven said:
I hope whoever picked Elijah Wood for Frodo, and Agent Smith for Elrond isn't used to cast the Hobbit.
You could be right about frodo but Elrond was actually Sam Neill (Think Jurrassic Park) I hadn't thought about the resemblance but now that you mention it I can see it. But you're right he has a very Non-Fairy look to him.

Sorry about the double post. Am wondering how Sam Neill would have fared as Elrond. I wish he's not been shooting Jurrasic Park III at the time and been able to take up Peter Jackson's offer. But then he's not very Elf-like either.

Who would you have cast as Frodo and Elrond?