Fantasy Recommendations for the Unenlightened 2

Nesacat I saw the cartoon film adaptation a few years back, the title being The Iron Giant and enjoyed it at the time. Sadly it's ony a loose adaptation of the book, so what else is new right?

For those interested in such things the Iron Man was first published back in 1968. Pete Townshend of The Who fame also wrote a rock opera in the late '80s based on The Iron Man, which eventualy sparked interest for a development into the film.

I've not read the book or its sequel, so thanks for the added incentive.

A new book that has recently been released and I think is worth every penny spent on it is Brandon Sanderson's Elantris book. It's a stand-alone novel as well as being the author's debut novel and I think it's excellent. It has alot of focus on his highly inventive magic but also combines other elements such as intrigue, romance, fighting, religious upheaval, mystery, and witticism. I recommend it to any lover of fantasy books.

Laura Resnick also has a great series of books called In Legend Born and continuing into In Fire Forged(two parts). A great book especially if you hate all the attention to descriptive detail other than for characters, as this author focuses on the characters and spends little time with scenery except where needed.

I would recommend Sara Douglass. Her 'Axis' Trilogy and the follow on 'Wayfarer Redemption' Trilogy are very well written. Her world building is great, as too the story line through both these trilogys.

Another Australian author not so widely read is Tony Shillitoe. I really enjoyed reading both "The Andrakis Trilogy' and 'The Ashuak Chronicles' (Lots of dragons in these!)

Fiona McIntosh has also written two good trilogys. 'Trinity' and then The Quickening'

Fudoki by Kij Johnson. I have to admit that I picked up the book because the cover illustration is of a Japanese warrior cat woman.

The story is set in a Japanese myth-influenced universe and revolves around Kagaya-hime. She may be a woman. She's sometimes a warrior or a philosopher or even a reluctant friend. She may truly be a cat or perhaps is a figment of the imagination of a dying princess.

The tale moves between the princess who might be making it up and writing it down in the twilight of her life; and Kagaya-hime, the cat woman.

She was a cat living with a clan. She had her own fudoki - an oral history of all the female cats in her clan. A fire kills all the cats so she loses her tale, her fudoki. And without a tale, she is no one. She cannot join another fudoki without losing herself so she chooses to walk along the Tokaido road because it, unlike her, knows where it's going. She only recognised that the Tokaido had a direction, a meaning, and this made it unlike her.

Along the way she meets the kami of Japan, Gods who in their curiosity about this creature new to Japan, give her a human shape. Not a cat but not quite a woman either. Her nature is that of a cat. Her eyes see further, her ears are sharper. She hunts and kills like a cat.

She does not understand the change or why it has happened, only that it has. So she journeys along the road and all the while the princess writes and breathes her life away. The end is perhaps the surprise and you get to decide how much of a choice we all really have in the vast scheme of the universe. Do we walk freely or are we sometimes nudged along paths because at the end of the path there is one waiting who has a great need for us. And we might not have chosen that path on our own.

Fudoki is a tale of two journeys perhaps. It's looking in the mirror of the Other and perhaps seeing onself truly. The prose is elegant. It's moves along the pages with a feline grace. There are sentences and paragraphs that strike chords deep inside and I think we will all see something of ourselves in the cat or the princess or both.

"What are these voices?"
"The gods," the kami said. "The eight million gods, speaking all at once."
"Are they all roads?"
"That would be a lot of roads. No. They are peace. War. Rice, barley. A thousand forges, ten thousand gates. This lake, that pond, the other river... A tree, all trees, a forest, all forests..."
"How can there be so many of you, and I have never met a god before this?"
"How would you know if you met one? You cats live in a cat-shaped world..."
"And now I am not even a cat," she said bitterly.
"You are no more and no less than you ever were," the kami said. "You lost nothing that was yours in the first place."

and in the end ...
"Who says you are on a different road than you were," the kami said. "There are a lot of roads, and they go everywhere. Some of them can't be seen. You are coming to the end of this one."
"But then what?" she said, her eyes filling with tears.
"You will settle down. make a new fudoki."
"Alone?"
...."When's the last time you wre alone? You tale is a thousand long already - men, women, horses...."

She opened her mouth to speak, but a thought came to her and she said nothing, her mouth gaping open, forgotten. "I never tried," she finally said. "I wept and complained and mourned, but I never thought... But why?
"You needed a home. Could a cat come a thousand miles?...."
"Did I come here or was I summoned?" ....

In the end I loved the book perhaps because of the cat or maybe it was the journey and the way it played out in the end. It's a book I see myself re-reading again and again.

You'd already intrigued me by your comments elsewhere on this one, Nesa, but this is simply a lovely review... I'm going to definitely have to look this one up and read it. It sounds very poignant and moving, and with that delicate touch of the fantastic that appeals to me so much from Dunsany, especially things like "The Kith of the Elf-Folk" or "The Highwayman", or "The Sorrow of Search"....

Thank you for bringing this to my attention in such a beautiful review.

GOLLUM said:
Nesacat I saw the cartoon film adaptation a few years back, the title being The Iron Giant and enjoyed it at the time. Sadly it's ony a loose adaptation of the book, so what else is new right?

I've seen the Iron Giant and really like it but you're right it's a very, very loose adaptation. I'm reading the books now and I really never made the connection until I read your comment. I am however, curious about the rock opera. Have you seen that?

No never saw it as it was staged in the early '90s in the UK and I'm in OZ. However the Concept album by Townshend is called Iron Man:The Musical and was produced in '89 by Atlantic recrods. Never heard the record but here's a short summary of the track titles, I assume a collection of songs from various artists:

1. Blast Off - The Tyrones 2. Rockin' In Orbit - Jimmie Haskell 3. Kookies Mad Pad - Edd "Kookie" Byrnes 4. Salt And Peanuts - The Nutty Squirrels 5. Comin' Home Baby - Mel Torme 6. Cha-Hua-Hua - Eddie Platt 7. Let's Do The Cha-Cha - The Magnificents 8. Blues Walk - Lou Donaldson 9. I Got A Rocket In My Pocket - Jimmy Lloyd 10. Searchin' - The Coasters 11. Honeycomb - Jimmie Rodgers 12. Destination Moon - The Ames Brothers 13. You Can Be... - Michael Kamen 14. ...Who You Choose To Be - Michael Kamen

I'm with JD Nesa, that's a nice review of Fudoki by Kij Johnson.

I've never read the book but it sounds interesting.

Sounds a little bit like Lian Hearn's Tales Of The Otori set in a medieval/feudal Samurai-style alternate Japan. You read that series? I've skimmed the books before but I received this is as a omnibus edition of all 3 novels in a beautiful HB presentation for my Birthday, still to read it though!

Cheers and keep up the good work with those reviews...:)

I do remember you mentioning having received Lian Hearn's books. Were you the one making the connection with Ladcadio Hearn :confused:

Yes I have read those and they are a beautiful read. Very oriental in style. Very eastern in its thinking. Am currently being envious of your hardbacks. Mine are all paperback. Tell me when you do read them please. And Dante's Club too.

I'm glad both you and j.d like the sound of Fudoki. It's just one of those books that finds it's way to your heart and stays. My heart anyway. It's the cat probably. That and the journey. :) Thank you for the list of tracks. I'll try and hunt them down.

Actually, Nesa, Gollum had mentioned Liam Hearn's books, and I'd asked if Liam was any relation to Lafcadio.... turns out the answer is no, but it's an interesting coincidence, nonetheless.

Wow. There's a lot to read in this thread. But first I'd like to ask a question:

What are some recommended fantasy books where the author includes humor? I just finished re-reading Patricia Wrede's Enchanted Forest Chronicles, and now I'd like to move on to some more adult material, but I'd still like to have some humor and light-heartedness in there. Maybe once I get some of that out of my system, I'll move on to some of the heavier, serious fantasy and scifi. Thanks :)

Welcome..:)

Well firstly, some books with humour from the previous lists I've put up would inlcude Fletcher Pratt and L Sprague De Camp's Compleat Enchanter series, which deals with time travel gone wrong. Very amusing.

Of course there's The First & Second Books Of Lankhmar by Fritz Leiber, a sword and sorcery duo who are constantly in and out of very amusing scrapes. Think Lethal Weapon duo Gibson and Glover in a magical setting.

I know that Terry Pratchett is a major figure with his DiscWorld series, never appealed to me but I'm not a huge fan of comedic fantasy.

Hope this helps.

breesicle ... I liked Good Omens by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman

The Discworld Books by Terry Pratchett ... I personally am fond of Death so tend to read the books in which he is featured but all of them are a pretty good read.

Jasper Fforde's books are wonderful. Had me laughing from beginning to end. The ones I have read are The Big Over Easy as well the the Thursday Next novels, of which there are four.

If you like puns, Piers Anthony's Xanth books and Robert Lynn Aprin's books.

Welcome to the Chronicles! Jump in and let us hear your thoughts!

My one caution where Leiber is concerned is that the stories really do cover a wide range, from near-slapstick to extremely somber ... with some stories having that entire range within a single story ("Adept's Gambit", for instance). So yes, there is plenty of humor in the Fafhrd and Grey Mouser stories... but there's also some tragedy and pathos, too ... as well as some of the finest use of the language one will encounter in modern fantasy.

Also James Branch Cabell's Poictesme novels are full of sly humor, innuendo, wordplay, and irony ... again with a masterful use of the language; and a comic cosmology that is a labyrinthine delight. (If you find yourself interested, PM me and I'll send you a list of the entire "Biography of the Life of Manuel", of which the Poictesme books are a part.)

There is also a fair amount of wry humor in Lord Dunsany's short stories, as well, most of which (I believe, though Gollum could correct me on this if I'm wrong) have been brought together in a volume of the Fantasy Masterworks series. Again, though, the range of tone within these is greatly varied; and as far as writing goes, Dunsany remains a high-water mark recognized by nearly all fantasy writers who have followed.

Gollum gave a good selection there. Pratchett is one of the best comedic authors in fantasy and one of the few authors who almost exclusively write this. Be careful where you start though - some of his earlier novels weren't very good and he has a tendency to draw out a story slightly beyond its natural length. The Colour of Magic, despite being the first book, isn't a good starting place. Try instead perhaps Guards! Guards!, which is hilarious.

Fritz Leiber and de Camp+Pratt are very good humourists as well. Another I would add is Jack Vance's Tales of the Dying Earth. The first book, the Dying Earth, is a collection of quite serious, quite dark short stories. But the next two books are some of the best comedy in fantasy there is - the Eyes of the Overworld and Cugel's Saga.

j. d. worthington said:
My one caution where Leiber is concerned is that the stories really do cover a wide range, from near-slapstick to extremely somber ... with some stories having that entire range within a single story ("Adept's Gambit", for instance). So yes, there is plenty of humor in the Fafhrd and Grey Mouser stories... but there's also some tragedy and pathos, too ... as well as some of the finest use of the language one will encounter in modern fantasy.

There is also a fair amount of wry humor in Lord Dunsany's short stories, as well, most of which (I believe, though Gollum could correct me on this if I'm wrong) have been brought together in a volume of the Fantasy Masterworks series.
Agreed about Leiber but having some humour mixed in with more "serious" pieces with excellent prose is a good way for Breesicle who wanted to transition from more light hearted to serious themes whilst being exposed to some of the best writing the Genre has to offer was the main thrust behind that particular recommendation...:)

The Dunsany collection you're referirng to is called Time and The Gods. I've got it with me now. Approx 120 stories covering Faerie, Dreamworlds, Magic and the entire contents of Time and the Gods, The Book Of Wonder, The Last Book Of Wonder and The Sword Of Welleran. A pretty decent collection really.

There'll be more rest assured but this along with the other suggestions put forward should be a good starting point for you Breesicle, hope that helps.

On the Vance -- I heartily agree. Odd that I should have glitched there, having recently sent a copy of Eyes of the Overworld to someone... Even in the darker pieces, there's more than a touch of humor... And for fantasy that has a nice blend of darker humor (with occasionally light satirical pieces, as well), to stark horror, there's the stories of Clark Ashton Smith. There's the Fantasy Masterworks volume, which samples from his entire career, and there's also a new printing of the original Arkham House collections being released by Bison Books (taken from the Neville Spearman plates, I believe) or, if you're really wanting to do it up fancy, Night Shade Books is releasing a 5-volume corrected and annotated edition of his complete fantasy work; the first volume should be out later this year.

Thanks so much for all of your recommendations and welcomes! I will get started on this list ASAP. I think I'm going to like it here...

Nesacat already gave the recommendation of "Good Omens" by Pratchett and Gaiman, but some novels by Gaiman have also very funny elements in it. For example, his last novel "Anansi boys".