Greatest/most comprehensive fantasy world after Middle Earth?

Trimac20

Trimac20
I'm totally new to fantasy, and am creating a fantasy world which is truly epic in scope. Perhaps too epic for my efforts. I've read LOTR, as well as the history.etc, but to avoid deriving too much from Middle Earth, am wondering what other similar worlds exist. The closest thing I can think of is actually not 'fantasy' as such (though I'd consider it Space Opera/fantasy dressed up in sci-fi) is Star Wars, from where my interest in such worlds originally stems. Any ideas?

Firstly - Excellent question mate!!

George RR Martins Westeros is well detailed with wonderful landscapes and interesting peoples.

I like Feist's Midkemia but it is no where near as complete as Wenderos or Middle earth.

I could go on mate but will leave ample space for others to suggest.

Ursula Leguin's Earthsea is well-formed although I think she has never used it to its potential. Pratchett's Discworld may not be epic but it's definitely interesting!

I'd agree with Dune - followed closely by Julian May's Pliocene/Galactic Milieu

What do you mean after LOTR?

The Warhammer and Warhammer 40 000 timelines would have to be some of the most involved a detaled worlds ever.

Im also a fan of Larry Niven's known space universe, its probally not as involved as some others but theres are so many big ideas and scary smart creatures.

Oh and whos the guy who wrote about the 9(was it?) races of man

My mate says that the Warhammer (40 000) universes are quite detailed indeed.

if you allow less science fiction worlds in...the discworld.. so detailed it has been mapped...right down to ankh-morpork itself which was written so as to be a functioning city as opposed to a truly impossible 'fairytale' one..and i'm alos informed there are people who claim to speak discworld dwarvish.

I have to say i like dune and disc world and i think as there at different ends of the spectram they dont need to be compared we can have them both

Erikson's Malazan Empire and I'd go for Dune as well also wheel of time well it is 10+ books but Erikson's Malazan Empire is my fav I am a recent convert

The best developed world I've read is certainly Erikson's. Dune is also very good, as has been said:)

i think dune dad the best developed people in a world but maby not the best world i have a soft spot for the disc world i have to say:)

Yep add Erikson's Malazan series, the best develpoed fantasy world/wordbuilding I've come across in 25 years in the Genre with only Tolkien capable of surpassing him.

I enjoyed the world of Trecendor created by Sara Douglass. Erikson's Malazan world and also Cecilia Dart-Thornton's empire of Erith are also very good.

Back